Looking at a Jeep

B'ham Jeeper

A guy I work with is looking at his neighbors Jeep to purchase. I told him to check for rust, Jeep specific what else should he look for?

Here are some pictures....

Photo001.jpg

Photo002.jpg

Photo003.jpg

Photo004.jpg

Photo005.jpg

And a few more....

Photo006.jpg

Photo007.jpg

Photo008.jpg

Photo009.jpg

Photo010.jpg

From the pictures it looks pretty clean. It is a 1999, don't know the mileage.

The pics looks great but looks could be deceiving. look for maintainance records if available. Verify that the title is clean. check the fluids for its condition.look underneath and check for rust especially on the nooks and crannys of the body. while under the vehicle, take note of the sheet metal thats closest to the outside panels like fender wells etc. you should be able to see if the body has wrinkles or some signs of prior body work due to a collision. Drive the Jeep on a normal city speed limit and on the highway while paying close attention to the transmission shifts, noises and engine performance. test the 4wd in all the modes for propper engagement and operation. and last but not the least, check to see if he could convince the seller to knock down another 500.00 bucks at least. fat chance but worth a try. i may have forgotten to mention something else on what to check, but thats the basic checklist that i go through when i buy a used vehicle. good luck.

I want, I want! I neeeed! :cry:

What SteelHeadz said. If I were to do things over, I would definitely check out the frame, especially in the typical rust areas. Also, I would check the engine, transmission, and t-case for excessive seepage. The body doesn't matter to me, though. I like battle scars.

With the obvious checking for rust, I would recommend that he does a compression test across the cylinders, this will tell you how the motor has held up (basically).
Since its a 99 have him check the exhaust collector tubes where they meet due to the early TJ problem of cracking there.

Have him inspect the radiator since the factory uses a plastic and brass type especially around the crimped seams top and bottom.
Have him pull on the front wheels (toe in and out) to check the bearing packs.
Have him have the seller turn the wheels from lock to lock while he watches the front end for excessive play.
Get under and check every "U-Joint", front axles and drive lines.
Look at the tires to check there wear patterns.
And last take it over to a gypsy concave and have them check it for evil spirits or possesion...she looks very clean in the pics.

Looks exactly like my 01. Except I have a white hard top and wide flares because of the wider tires. I bought mine last year with 81,000miles for $9500. I felt like I got a fair deal for around here.

Very nice looking jeep. What everyone said you need to do. If you do get it replace ALL THE FLUIDS, flush the engine, rad and yes the dont forget the break fluid.

everything is fixable on a JEEP. looks like a nice one alot nicer than mine so you better take it out and use it

Back