Loud scratching. Transmission? Clutch?

19wrangler89

Ok. There is a loud clanking and scratching noise when I push the clutch down. I don't know what it is. I checked the clutch master cylinder and it is full. I also have trouble sometimes shifting in and out of gear. I don't know if it is the clutch or the transmission. Could someone please help me figure this out.?[addsig]

does it make the sound when you just push the clutch in, when shifting, releasing the clutch or combination of two or three?

The shifting in and out of gear issue most likely be the transmission sincro's (not sure on the spelling)

the sound could be a failing through-out bearing[addsig]

The sound happens spurradicly,now becomeing more common and when it happens it's anytime the clutch is pushed in, shifting or just stopping at a light. it sounds terrible. It scared me the first time it happened, I dreaded that i lost a gear but they still all work, if I can shift into it.[addsig]

how many miles ya got? sounds like it might need adjustment/replacement...[addsig]

The synchros may be going South, try changing to a quality gear oil that is good on the synchros, like Redline MT90 available at Summit Racing. If you're now using a GL5 rated gear oil, the problem will only get worse.[addsig]

If this horrible sound happens when you actually just push the clutch pedal down...problem might be with the clutch..Get your clutch checked out.

My 2nd gear sychro was shot..At first...my transmission GRINDED when i downshifted into 2nd..then the noise started happening every time i shifted and downshifted in 2nd...then other gears started doing it...finally cost me 1500$ CAN for the rebuild...

Hopefully something is wrong with your clutch...or clutch slave cylinder...or..i dont know...hopefully its not an internal transmission problem...

If you are not moving and you shift thru your gears...do they make grinding noises???

Maybe you have a combination of grinding and clutch/clutch pedal noise...

:-x Transmission problems suck!!! Damn ax-15 !!!![addsig]

ok, this may sound reeeeealy stupid, but, how to you fill the transmission with gear oil? I looked through my chiltons and haynes and they talk about the oil type and stuff but it does say where to fill it.
[addsig]

Make shure ur jeep is level...then u have to acutally go under the jeep ad u should be able to find a plug on one of the sides u can fill with the gear oil bottles with the special nossles (pointy)...You should also do your t-case .. the plug is located on the back part of the case

If i am not mistaken, the plug for the transmission is an Torx bolt...wich you will need a large "outer" Torx socket and the T-case is a regual bolt...big enuf :)

Good luck!
Dan[addsig]

Does it sound like a can full of bolts rattling? It probably is the throwout bearing. Doesn't cost much....probably about $50. Bad news is you will have to pull the transmission to replace it. :-x [addsig]

Back