Lucille is hurtin'

mud4feet

Ok, I posted something about this a while ago, but didn't really get much response. I just went up North (Mich., Ohio) and on the way back, the Jeep started doing the same thing I posted about before. Basically, she's runnin' on 3 right now and has been for the last 400 miles or so (straight thru drivin'). Poppin', sputterin', malfunction light on, malfunction light flashing.............

My questions:
What would cause her to do this?
And, most importantly, what damage have I done? O2 sensors, Cat, computer???? I have driven her many miles with the malfunction light flashing (yes, I know I shouldn't have, but I wanted to get home) Definitely didn't make it run any WORSE!!! All gauges are reading fine........... Bounty? You mentioned to me something about it before.

Re: RE: New Years at Greenridge

Have you tried checkin for codes? I dont know about the 03's, but on my 97 you hold the odometer button and turn the key from off to on about 5 times and leave it in the on position. It will do some stuff with the gauges then flash any trouble codes in the odometer. That would be the first thing I would try.

Nathan

RE: Lucille is hurtin

Yeah, the codes.....I've checked before (not this time, yet), but in the past it's told me "missfire on cylinder 3" or "missfire on cylinder 4"...........and I'm thinking "NO SHITE!!!!! I KNOW THAT!!!......WHAT'S WRONG?????". I've got 50K+ on 'er and this has happened about 4-5 times....ususally cures itself somehow (computer?), but this time I think it's set in. Just really wondering what damage I've done ($$$$?).

RE: tom woods high angle joint

Hmm.... 03 is distributerless right? Could it be that the coil pack for that cylinder is on its way out, and thats causing the misfire?

Nathan

Yeah, Nathan, I have discovered to my dismay that it its distributorless (the wife's YJ is lookin' better all the time). She's going to the stealership tomorrow because I am at a loss. I'm greasing up my backside as we speak...........................

Hope I haven't done too much damage.

Wish I could help you Mud, I hope you get this figured out soon. You have twice the miles my 03 has by the way! Do you get tune ups and oil changes done or do them yourself and always clean good after mudding and stuff? Hopefully the stealership will let you know whats going on even if you choose not to take care of it there. You still have warranty at that milage? I thought it was 36K.

Lady

RE: steering shimmy

so.... have you replaced plugs and wires? if you have.. then go for the coil... if still no go.. then go for ignition module... if there's a misfire... its somewhere in there... start from the plugs and work your way back.. if its only one cylinder misfiring... it is usually a wire... could simply not be pushed on all the way... fouled out plug... anything... then go with the coil pack

RE: can any body men out there lend some advice?

Ok, all, I appreciate all the help, but I'll have to chalk this one up to the "stupid" category.......I feel so embarrassed. The dealership in little Sylva, NC (can't call this one a stealership), wooden shop floors and all, charged me $65 to put her on the machine and give me a "tune-up" (ie: changed the spark plugs :oops: ). She runs fine now. I guess I'm old school.....when I popped the hood and found no distributor, and saw that I would have to pull the throttle body to get to one of the plugs (and not really thinking that was the problem), I surrendered and took it in. I'm ashamed of myself, but I won't let it happen again (unless, of course, it's 10 degrees out and snowing and me without a garage :lol: ). But basically I have learned that it's not necessarily true that your doing terrible damage to your Jeep if you drive while that stinkin' "malfunction" light is flashing. I drove it from Ohio to North Carolina with that light periodically flashing all the way, and evidently (according to the "machine"), I have done no detectable damage to my emissions systems. Time will tell, I suppose. Lesson learned, humility recharged.

thanx again, all.

dumb-a$$ mud

Mud,

Don't be so hard on yourself. We all have those moments. I am lucky though, I am married to a blonde. When I mess up I just tell everybody she's rubbin' off on me! :lol:

mike

NiteDog said:
Mud,

Don't be so hard on yourself. We all have those moments. I am lucky though, I am married to a blonde. When I mess up I just tell everybody she's rubbin' off on me! :lol:

mike

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanx, NiteDog. Appreciate the lift.

Back