Measure, measure, cut, WELD!

BaconYJ

Finally after almost 2 years of lurking on many technical forums, collecting parts, drawing up and scratching out plans just to redraw them I have FINALLY started my stretch project on my YJ!!!!!

It currently/was sitting on Fabtech 3.5 inch lift springs SUA in their stock position. It did very well with this set up. Good flex and GREAT stability. But I want to eventually run 40-42s and have a longer wheelbase for climbs.

New setup: Front will get BDS 2 inch in a SOA configuration. The axle will be pushed forward 6-8 inches depending on steering configuration with a Chevy Astro box swap which will be clocked flat. The front spring perch will be pushed forward the 6-8 inches and frenched (cut and burned into the frame) about 4 inches higher in attempt to keep a LCG. The front shackle hanger will be placed on the front of the bumper/frame 3 inches higher than stock and 3 inches forward. The shackle itself will make up for the rest of the stretch being at 40 degrees... ish. All actual measurements will be finalized once tear down is complete and the front is mocked up.

Rear is more shooting at the hip. It will depend upon how the front sits to get the Jeep to sit level. Rear will be stretched 4 inches backwards and I hope to keep it SUA for stability and reduce axle wrap. I will post more once the front is done and I have an idea of what will be happening with the rear.

Pics will follow in the next couple days. Hard part is taking the 30 seconds to step back and snap a shot or 2 of the progress.

Here is hoping it all works out! :lol:

Bacon

:thisthreadisworthle

I imagine there's quite a bit going on with a stretch project like that. This would probably be a good time to start a build thread ;)

Yes I agree that this thread is worthless without pics!

I should be able to post some this weekend.

Bacon

Just an update.

NO work on the stretch has been done because of the flooding in Colorado and my work calling in all hands to help out. (Work on an ambulance as an EMT.)

WILL get to it next weekend even if I have to take several vacation days to get it done.

Bacon

Sounds like a fun build. Why go through all that work to SOA on a 2" spring? Why not say SUA and just move the perches back. Assuming you are liberal with a saw-zall, with about 4" of stretch and limited up travel, a 42" tire will fit. Also with a tire that big, the saganaw steering box will not last long, at a minimum I would recommend hydro assist.

If you have not bought leafs springs yet and you are hell bent on SOA configuration, look into stock FSJ front springs. Same length as the YJ springs, but has 2" of stretch built into them plus will sit about same height as the springs you mentioned.

Stay safe and dry.

My original plan was to use a set of the FSJs until a friend gave me his unused 2 inch BDS springs. Not sure why he bought and never used them. His loss my gain.

I agree the steering will need some kind of hydro upgrade at some point but right now the Jeep is sitting on 35s and will be for a while. (Need to keep the wife happy).

The wife is out of town and I am off for the next 4 days, let the build begin!!!!!

Bacon

Made some very good and bad progress today on stretching the front.

Plasma cutters are fun!

P1000946.jpg

Cut just behind the round frame brace which ended up being 4 inches back instead of the planned 2 inches back which would be an difficult cut and reweld through the middle of it. This will prove a problem later.

P1000957.jpg

New front end welds in nicely. First problems notices are the clevises are too close the shackle bolts. No big deal just annoying.

P1000965.jpg

The spring hangers are welded to the surface of the frame instead of frenching them in. WAY easier. The hangers are 6 inches forward and 3 inches up eye to eye from stock. On went the springs along with the home make boomerang shackles. Placed the spring perches on the axles and lowered the setup into place...

P1000968.jpg

#@%&@$# the shackle angle is at 70* from vertical. I dun f***ed up. I was aiming for 30-35*.

After slamming a quick beer and some choice words we figures out the problem was the extra 2 inches off the frame for the easier cut and neglected to replace those 2 inches.

So after after 6 steps forward, I somehow managed to take 5.99 steps backwards. Tomorrow will be correcting the screw up and with luck start cleaning up the rear.

Bacon

MUCH better day today.

Added 2 inches back to the front and all was good! (that's what she said)
My dad pushed for just adding to the end of the already fabricated front. It was much easier than cutting off the front again, adding in and plating the added section of the frame. I still may do this in the future because I am not happy with my dad's suggestion/push for the easy fix. Still needs some plating.

P1000979.jpg

P1000980.jpg

It turned out as I had originally planned (after adding back in the 2 inches). Great shackle angle of 35*. Frame height is 23 inches. (YEY!!)

P1000991.jpg

Tearing down the back end but leaving the stock hangers and hoping the BlueTorch Fab's YJ/XJ stretch works out with a set of stock used XJ springs from the junk yard. If the mock up does not look/measure right I will figure something else out.

Bacon

Back