Mirrors

dzman49

I think most of us feel the need to have mirrors on the Jeep body and not the doors, since the doors often disappear. Does anyone have experience with the brackets Quadratec sells that fasten to the window frame using the existing screws? With them, you're supposed to be able to move the existing mirrors to these brackets. I've got a 98 TJ with full doors, and I also have a pair of fabric half doors I want to use when the top is down...or maybe no doors at all.

Never mind, I found some answers in the product review forum. They don't sound like the best answer to the problem, but might be the only one.

I ordered but have not received yet is mirrors that use the top pin hole for the door hinge.The advantage to it is it can be mounted upside down also so when off road you can see under the jeep to watch those rocks.Atleast that is what is advertised,we will see.

These are by far the best, no vibrations and cheap ($10). Kryptonite Customs in Nutley NJ and EVB in Danbury CT have them.

Attachments

• Mirror Poster copy.jpg
    Mirror Poster copy.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 461

Thanks for the ideas. I can't use the door hinge because I plan on using half doors when the full doors are off. The Rocodile's look promising.

I have steel half door with mirrors so No problem for me.Those rocodile are they big enough to be of any use?

I have steel half door with mirrors so No problem for me.Those rocodile are they big enough to be of any use?

They are convex mirrors so they present a pretty wide field of view. The mirror part also pivots in its mounting "cup" so it's totally adjustable. I have no problem with them. Even the offside mirror works well.

I finally came up with an inexpensive solution for mirrors when I take off my full doors.I made up my own brackets out of 3/4" steel conduit, flattened the ends, put a connector in the middle for angle adjustments, painted them with truck bed coating, installed some mirrors from Auto Zone and fastened them where the two windshield hinge screws are. I picked up some 5/16 X 1 1/2" (could have been 1" long) clamping bolts with the three sided plastic knob. With those, it's a pretty quick install/removal. There's a little vibration, but they're fine and only cost about $20.00

Attachments

• Jeep half doors 004 r.jpg
    Jeep half doors 004 r.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 11,815
  • Jeep half doors 005 r.jpg
    Jeep half doors 005 r.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 756
mirrors? come on now......

I understand your feelings but, seriously, I miss side mirrors with my doors off. I guess it's because I use them so much with the doors on - I've usually got something stuffed in the back that makes the windshield rearview worthless.

It still sticks in my craw.........why the h#*! would anyone design a vehicle with removable doors and then stick the mirrors on the doors?!?!?!?! God bless CJ's and anything prior!!! Created before the insanity.....................and, PLEASE, let's not even talk about air bags.

I miss my mirrors also.My work vehicle has no rear window.Solid steel so I depend on the side mirrors and is the only thing I use.So when the doors are off I am lost with out them.

Yeah Colorado, I hear ya. But I don't need any additional reasons for law enforcement to take notice of my ride and at least one outside mirror is required. Since I drive dump trucks at work, I'm in the habit of using outside mirrors a lot on other vehicles. (saves on stiff necks). With my cheap set up, I can have them off in a couple of minutes if I want to get into an off road environment.

Same here Mud. They were just fine on the CJ 7 I had. If the rest of that Jeep hadn't been in such bad shape, I might have kept it around. Anyhow, now I've got things set up so I can go from totally enclosed with a hard top and full doors like any other car, to a convertable, or to a stripped down version with only a belt and roll bar between me and the wide open spaces. All using the same TJ chassis.

Back