MT/R's or Baja Claws??

Dodger13

Well, I am having a tough time deciding between 33" Wrangler MT/Rs or Baja Claw radials... What would you guys choose and why? This is a daily driver( although most days its only 4 miles round trip) with the Black Hills of South dakota only 20 minutes away.. Sharp rocks, little mud, Lots of snow and Ice during the winter.. [addsig]

I have heard good things about the MT/R's. My girlfriends dad runs them in a 35" on his 2000 F350 and he loves them. He went from a Swamper SSR and he said it was a great upgrade in ride quality...

Here is what JP Magazine March 2003 said about the two in their comparison...

GOODYEAR MT/R
Extreme rock crawling has pushed the development of the MT/R and has helped create one of the toughest all around tires available. The three-ply sidewall is extremely durable, even on the nastiest razor rocks.
Street: ***
Sand: ***
Mud: ***
Heavy Rock: ****

MICKEY THOMPSON BAJA CLAW
The Baja Claw has always been one of the toughest tires available. The polyester and fiberglass bias-belted design puts up to six hefty plies in the sidewall. Plus, the tread wraps most of the way around the tire, offering traction and extra protection at any angle. Because it's a Bias tire, you'll notice some flat-spotting when parked overnight in cooler temperatures or at lower air pressures.
Street: **
Sand: ***
Mud: ***
Heavy Rock: ****
(I think that the Baja Claws are available in a Radial also. Check into that. It might make or break you decision.)

Good luck and I hope you are happy with the meats you choose for you beast. Let us know here at Jeepz.com which one you choose and how the perform on and offroad for you!

Jeepin91
[addsig]

I would go with the MTR's. Mainly because of the reviews I've read, and I've heard from friends of mine that have them that they're awesome. They say that they perform incredible on the street, aren't horribly loud and also perform really well in the snow and mud. I like the tread pattern on them and I am probably going to get them for my best as well... 35's baby! [addsig]

while we're on this topic of new tires (just happen to be the 2 im considering) would 33's fit under 4.5 "?[addsig]

while we're on this topic of new tires (just happen to be the 2 im considering) would 33's fit under 4.5 "?

Yeah they should fit... I'm putting 33's under a 3" Teraflex and have seen them under 3" tera's personally so I would imagine they would fit under any other brand 3" or higher.. I ended up getting the MT/R's.. They should've arrived here yesterday but I imagine the war and all is slowing down FedEx's deliveries.[addsig]

I´m working on my third set of MT/R´s, they are medium loud (not to bad) they don´t seem to heat crack much (important in some parts of the country or for high speed driving), they don´t self clean very good in sticky mud, don´t seem to cut easily, have had a few flats (screws and nails), they seem to harden up some with age and don´t work quite so well in the wet and snow after a few years. Seem to last a half a hundred thousand miles and still have some tread left.[addsig]

Good choice on the tire. I am running 35's on an 80 cj7 and I love them. They seem to perform well in the rain. I have had no probelms with em. Good Luck!!!!![addsig]

Back