My 4WD is not engaging on my 99 TJ Wrangler. What could be

If you have a lift it could be that your linkage is messed up. Other wise ??? Have you looked at you transfer case? Try to figure it out yourself and when you lose all hope take it to the stealership. You have a 7yr/70K warranty on powertrain but if it has to do w/ you linkage it prob wont be covered. If it has to do w/ your t-case and you havent modified the Jeep then it should be under warranty.Good Luck.[addsig]

Hey this might sound simple but, look at the drive shaft where is links up to the transfer case. The first week i had my jeep the the bolts that hold the u joint onto the shaft came loose and the shaft was resting on my skid plate so it would say i was in four wheel but obviosly it didnt engage. Hope that helps...let us know what was wrong when you figure it out!!! :-D

edited by: WranglrWhat94, Apr 13, 2003 - 06:44 PM[addsig]

does it say it goes into 4wd, or does the display say it stays in 2? or do both remain at 2wd? how long do you wait before deciding it doesn't work... sometimes you have to drive it a little bit for it to shift.

-nate[addsig]

yeah on my TJ sometimes..i pull it up and it doesn't go in.. i gotta move the car a little cause the gears aren't lined up or somthing. then it pulls right in[addsig]

put it in 4L and see if your rear end switches it is easy to tell cause the gearing is low. this will tell you wether it is t-case problem or the front axle actuator.[addsig]

I have a 3" inch Lift Kit Installed. It does not show that it is engaged (no lights for 4H). No power is transferred to the other tires. What is linkage? :-? [addsig]

I am not sure if a 99 is setup the same as a 93 but since you have a lift make sure the vacuum plug is still hooked up that plugs into the front axle and into you transfer case.[addsig]

simple test... pull off the vacuum hoses from the front axle... have someone put it in 4wd... if the vacuum changes... its something between the axle and the 4wd light... if it doesn't... its somewhere between the shifter and the Tcase[addsig]

Okay guys and gals, the '99 TJ (any TJ for that matter) does not have any vacuum lines going to the front axle. It does not have a front axle disconnect. That ended with the '95 YJ and even earlier in the XJ.

If it's not the transfer case linkage, must be internal, in the transfer case.[addsig]

Back