My jeep died and wont start..

Dorisue

My 1999 Cherokee classic was running fine. Then it started idling really rough and died on me. Now it won't start back up even though it cranks and tries. My fuel pump was replaced brand new 6 months ago. Any ideas?

My 1999 Cherokee classic was running fine. Then it started idling really rough and died on me. Now it won't start back up even though it cranks and tries. My fuel pump was replaced brand new 6 months ago. Any ideas?

maybe it's out of fuel and the fuel gauge is lying ;)

Check for fuel pressuere on the rail and ignition spark on the spark plugs. One of them might be inoperable. Diagnose it from there. Check engine light on?

SteelHeadz said:
Check for fuel pressuere on the rail and ignition spark on the spark plugs. One of them might be inoperable. Diagnose it from there. Check engine light on?

No check engine light so far. There's no fuel or air coming from the valve on the rail which I remember we had to bleed when we replaced the fuel pump so that tells me it sounds like some sort of clog. Or at least that's what it's acting like. It's been a while since the spark plugs have been replaced so that wouldn't surprise me a whole lot. If it's still trying to start and then dies would or could it still be the spark?

No check engine light so far. There's no fuel or air coming from the valve on the rail which I remember we had to bleed when we replaced the fuel pump so that tells me it sounds like some sort of clog. Or at least that's what it's acting like. It's been a while since the spark plugs have been replaced so that wouldn't surprise me a whole lot. If it's still trying to start and then dies would or could it still be the spark?

sounds like another cps issue if you ask me
read below
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cherokee...ty/31229-88-cherokee-wont-start-no-spark.html

Last edited:
fuel Filter plugged????Disconnect fuel line and check to see if pump is indeed pumping fuel.
I have seen some of these new pumps fail in as little as 30 days.

Latest news.... Fuel pump was kicking on but the mechanic said it still needed to be replaced. He said it was only getting open circuit? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me but he got it working. He said the relay with the wiring went bad, most likely with the after market fuel pump that was replaced 6 months ago. Very glad it's fixed although I'd rather understand it a bit better. Thanks to all for your input and help. :)

Back