My Jeep Like to Wander!

19wrangler89

My jeep has very light steering, and tends to wander while driving faster than 30mph. I don't know what it could be, if anybody else has had this problem or if they know how to fix, please tell![addsig]

welcome to jeeping...they all do!...but seriously...check your alignment, ball joints, and tie-rod ends...but mine are all in like-new condition and the beast still feels loose.[addsig]

Check and see if someone took off the sway bars front and/or rear. Welcome to the board and you have ask the right people just keep feeding info till these guys narrow it down then you will be ready to go. Best folks on the net here at jeeps.com good luck Tug[addsig]

i am having the same steering problem....however i only noticed the wandering after i put my smaller winter tires on...not sure why this is but maybe the bigger tires tend to track better?? please post a fix to this problem if you find one. thanks chris west[addsig]

good point west...cheap and/or crappy tires will do it...but all of mine have so far...my cheapy 31's now and my $600 wrangler at/x's before...but it could just be mine...[addsig]

thanks for your replies, i'l check on the sway bars, tie rod ends and ball joints. I read that a bad steering stabilizer could also cause the problem. Thank-you, i've been on this site for 10 mins and i already love it![addsig]

If you're jeep is lifted check to see if a drop pitman arm was installed, and also check the steering stabalizer, my stock one was shot and after i replaced it my jeep handled like a completely different jeep[addsig]

Some of the longer shackle lifts will give you poor tracking, particularly if they are not the welded "H" type. Also, you may want to check the rubber bushings, may be time to change them to poly. A steering stablizer going bad will start as wandering and progress to the dredded "death wobble".[addsig]

I have the same problem as the rest of you. However I think mine may actually be in the steering box. Get someone to sit inside and just slightly wiggle the steering wheel. You can look at where the play is coming from.[addsig]

Back