need help again

Stevejesseman

OK!!!!
I finally got the begging problem fixed, the skipping of the spark. I got that fixed, a "crank positon sensor", it ran really well for 2 days.The next problem is..........I had to get a igition switch put in, it ran great for a couple hours, then just quit running. The only way it will run is to hold the starter engaged postion. Maybe is it the computer???.....this time[addsig]

Do not know if this will help or not! On my Ford Ranger I had this problem as will with the switch. There was a rod or linkage from the starter on the column to a switch lower down on the column. This linkage became twisted over years of off and on and I was able to straighten it some what and that was the fix. Prior to fixing this linkage thing I used a wedge of wood to hold the switch in the odd ball position to keep it running. Like I said this may have little or no to do with your problem but it worked for me. Tug :-D [addsig]

Most Jeeps (all I´ve seen) have two ignition wires running to the ignition module (or the coil joined at the starting relay). One with the key in the start position, gives full voltage to the coil. The other with the key in the run position gives about half battery voltage to the coil. The run voltage goes through a resisitor (often in line, a lump in the wire). Sometimes a ballast resisitor, a white ceramic box (2"X1/2X1/2)with two bayonet connectors. Shorting the ignition wire in the run position, will often fry the resisitor. In your case I´d look at a faulty connector or bad contact in the switch.[addsig]

check your neutral control switch (something like that) in the transmission, its the sensor taht tells the computer the car is in nuetral or park so it can be started. mine went out and the thing would NOT start.[addsig]

Back