New Jeep owner Questions??????

mo-james

Just bought a 1981 cj7 that has a 4" lift on it, my questions are:
1)Front height from ground 27", rear height from ground 25.5" the shackles on both the front and rear half lower holes, can I simply move the rear spring to the lower set of holes to help level the jeep up?
2) front extremely stiff, I read some where that I could remove the stabilizer with no ill effects to help the stiffness of the front end, is this correct?
3) when accelerating hard the jeep pulls to the left, is this do to not having a locker in the rear? can I put a spool diff in the rear?
it is a 20 series with solid axles

I know this is alot of questions, but I am 33 and re-entring my childhood!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
THANKS

Never thought of this!

mo-james said:
1)Front height from ground 27", rear height from ground 25.5"
2) front extremely stiff, I read some where that I could remove the stabilizer with no ill effects to help the stiffness of the front end, is this correct?
3) when accelerating hard the jeep pulls to the left, is this do to not having a locker in the rear?
can I put a spool diff in the rear?it is a 20 series with solid axles
1) The frame may be different heights because it was that way when new, if it sits noticably lower in the rear I'd suggest having the rear springs rearched or install a full-length add-a-leaf to bring some arch back.
2)Leave the steering stabilyzer on, you need it, but you may need softer valved shocks or softer leaf springs. If you've got gas-charged shocks, get some softer hydraulic shocks.
3)Tough one. Sounds like something in the steering or suspension is causing this. Merely having an open diff won't do it.
You can spool the rear if you want the ultimate in traction, but you really have to drive it in slick onroad conditions. The 20 is a strong axle once you put in 1-piece shafts.

Just a comment... If you have different options for adjusting your shackles then you have aftermarket shackles. The stock ones don't have more than one way to put them on. I have heard bad things about going too long in the shackles, but I believe that is mostly in front because it affects your caster.

Back