New Jeeper

NCdave1970

Thinking about buying a used Jeep Wrangler (1997-1999) and just had some general questions for anyone who would know. In general, how many miles can you put on a jeep before its going to start needing major engine repairs? The ones I am looking at range between 70,000 & 94,000 miles. Also, how hard is it with a basic mechanical knowledge to work on jeeps? (i've changed out alternators, starters, belts and such). Any help or suggestions are welcome.

just get somethin with less than 300k miles and you'll be fine :)

welcome aboard! no seriously, just make sure you get the 4.0 motor, they're bombproof. mine has 225k miles and is running strong! change the oil and fix whatever you break and she'll be fine.

Heck yeah, if I can work on a Jeep, anyone can. I've only owned mine for 2 years and one month (as of today 8) ), so I can't really speak from experience on the mileage factor, but I've heard of a lot of folks running both the 2.5 and the 4.0 well over 150-200k miles with no problems. Most any vehicle will last that long if you maintain it properly.

Welcome to Jeepz, too, BTW. Hope you stick around, and show us some pics when you buy that Jeep!!;)

Yeah, get the Jeep and come visit us over in the mountains!! Lotta good Jeepin' country over here! (I avoid Raleigh at all costs!:p )

Back