new lift - bouncy ride

hoobness

finally got a ride on my new lift. Its b o u n c y ! Holy cow is it rough. It should go away right? Man Im afraid to go too fast in fear of bouncing right off the road!

Yes, give the leaf springs time to break in a bit. It should sag a little too, but probably not much. Got any pics yet?

I remember going across the Key Bridge (MD 695) in my YJ after installing a BDS kit. It was a wild ride. The bridge bounces on it's own, and factoring in new springs it freaked me out ;)

right now it looks pretty funny, its got the orginal rims and 30x9s. plus the flares are off and well it looks like sh!%. Im debating right now on weather to go out and get a brew or stay in and put on the extended flares for the tires and wheels i got coming next week.

Ill post pics when the project is done, its the least i couild do, after all the help i got from this site.

A new suspension is going to be a little rough until it settles. You might want to check to see if you may have tightened the shackle bolts too much, that can contribute to a "frozen" feeling suspension.

whats too much?

i have them torqued to the Haynes manual - I believe its like 95'/lbs at the shackle and 105 at the frame

RE: Buying a 1999 XJ ... Needing lift suggestions

I know the feeling. I swear I need a neck brace the first 150-200 miles I drove after lifting. Seems a little better now. No more coffee on the way to work though..OUCHEEEE!!!!!

-D-

hoobness said:
whats too much?

i have them torqued to the Haynes manual - I believe its like 95'/lbs at the shackle and 105 at the frame
won't hurt to loosen them up a bit and give it a test run. It will make a huge difference if they are not moving.

Even if they are to tight, your springs still need to be broken in. Nothing does this as well as a good trip wheelin' with the swaybar disconnected. Flex it up good and it'll speed the break-in along. Like you need an excuse anyway :twisted:

RE: Bolts sheared off in frame!

i'm with TC... get offroad and catch a lot of off-camber ground... try some roadside irrigation ditches if possible

After reading your questions and the replies I just had to throw in my two cents. I'm running the 4.5 inch Rubicon Express springs and they are not bouncy. But I had a pair of Black Diamond springs once and they rode really rough. There are several tricks you can do to make the leaf springs ride well.
Step one. Use factory rubber bushings in the main eye of the spring. They flex better and hold up well. Try to stay away from the poly ones because they are just too stiff.
Step two. Only torque the main eye on the frame to around 80 pounds and use a locking type nut. You want a snug fit and not super tight. The shackles should not be any tighter then 30 to 40 pounds. Again with a locking type nut.
Step three. If your spings have spring type retainer straps then have then opened up to allow the spring to flex more freely. Most custom off springs have an open type retainer with a bolt.
Step four. Remove the springs and pull the pack apart. Clean all surfaces and repaint with a graphite paint. Also if your springs do not have teflon pads then that is a good time to have the leafs drilled and pads inserted.
Step five. Remove both track bars and throw them away.

I know this is a lot of work but the cost is low. Just a lot of sweat. My YJ rides great and flexs well.
Check out our web site at www.oregontrailjamboree.org and go to our message board.

Have fun and don't bang your knuckles too bad.

AJL

Did you happen to torque the shackle bolts before letting the weight settle back down onto the springs? Tightening them with the suspension at full droop, with the frame supported, will cause the shackle sleeves and bushings to twist when the jeep is lowered onto the tires. The bushings will then store this energy, resisting any upward movement of the spring and making the ride very bouncy.

Some lift kits are rougher riding than others, what brand spring and shock did you use?

They were finger tight when I let the jeep down off the jacks. I did not torque them till the jeep was resting on its own weight, 4 wheels on the ground.

The lift is 4" from Rubicon Express, the shocks are DT9000s I believe.

So far I put roughly 50 miles on it. Today I took it on the highway, I want to say it is getting a bit less bouncy, but I could just be getting used to it!
Maybe Ill loosen them a bit tonight.

The vibes are not so bad, though you never forget they are there!
Dont really mind them I just dont want to get stranded in the middle of the night with a busted U joint or whatever.

TJ Bestop Safari Header Bikini top

AJL had a lot of good tips along with gra and the tire pressure... i've done a few minor mods to my Hellcreek springs and pulled the track bars and gonna do more! - you have to remember though they are not stock springs so your ride wont go back the way it was - hence SOA is so attractive...but you have a good kit and given time and effort your ride (and flex) should get better!

RE: Re: RE: distribuer out of synch?

Find something to flex the springs on, run each tire up something alternating between the two, the springs will settle in. Otherwise it sounds like it's in the shocks. If the DT9000's are gas charged, you may want to get some smooth riding hydraulic shocks like the Doetsch-Tech 3000's.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Skiing

drove 2.5"re lift with 1.5"shackles for about 10mnths,way too stiff!relpaced shackles with stock ones much better at first.after about a week i wasnt happy it was way too soft,bouncy,did some reading on sites and decided to replace dt9000 shocks with old man emu.expensive but way worth it.its nice to have a jeep that rides great again.those dt shocks were horrible.was having trouble in snow,would not stay where i put her,now she walks through almost anything.oh yeah,whole set up only had about 5000 miles on it when i switched the shocks about a month ago,nver been happier,hope this helps.

ajl said:
Step five. Remove both track bars and throw them away.
I would not recommend taking the front trac bar off at all, and definatly don't throw them away, especially if you ever plan on selling the vehicle, then you will have to put them back on cause if someone gets into the jeep, no clue how to drive a lifted jeep with no front trac bar, makes a defensive manuver, FLIP

Be patient, springs will settle.

RE: Re: RE: distribuer out of synch?

So the DT9000s are crap? Funny thing is, I dont know what DT model they are, I assumed they were the 9000s. Anyway, As soon as I get time (spring break is over) Ill go beat on the suspension a bit like you all said. Not spending any more $$ on the suspension now, got to get the vibes solved first.

grr-rah

I know what you mean. But you have to think about it. Its a Jeep. Its not really meant to drive smooth and handle well, especially when you install some lift on it. Just give it some time and you'll get used to the way it drives and you should be able to control it easily.

RE: Zipper Problems

i ditched my track bars and sway bars. if i ever sell it theyre signing a waiver that says ive gone over every modification with them and the consequences of it.

on a side note try swapping in some softer leaves for a few weeks to break them in

Back