New Owner - 90 Cherokee Wagoneer - Need Info?!?

90Wagoneer

Hi Guys,

I just bought a 90 Cherokee Wagoneer with 4.0L 6, auto, white on grey. I am going to pick it up on the weekend.

I know NOTHING about the difference between Cherokee models (Pioneer, Limited, Wagoneer, etc.). Can someone enlighten me?
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

Thanks and this is a great site.!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Well to start you off,

"Wagoneer" was the name given to a line of full sized Jeeps made from 1963 to 1993 that basically kept the same body frame thoughout its life. In 1974 a full sized "Cherokee" was introduced to the line of Wagoneers and was made until 1983.

In 1984, the old full-sized Wagoneer was renamed "Grand Wagoneer". Two new Mid-sized version of the Wagoneer were introduced they were the "Wagoneer" and "Cherokee" (what a surprise!). The Mid sized wagoneers (made until 1991) had woodgrain trim while the Mid-sized Cherokees were offered in pioneer and laredo trim packages.

The mid-sized Cherokees were made until 2001 with the most common trim packages being Pioneer, Laredo, sport, Cheif, Limited.

[addsig]

Hello xj nick that is amazing 403 Thousand ! dam i was thinking my 90 xj with 166.ooo was half dead . I have a ? for you i need to replace awheel cylinder and the parts store sells two different type one for a dana 35 , and one for a dana 44< ! I called a jeep dealer and offered my vin# two figure out what rear end i have so i can purchase the correct part <! The dealer told me my jeep was to old for them to figure that ? out .. How else do i figure this out.
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Thanks Nick.

So the mid-sized Wagoneer was its own model line seperate from the mids-zed Cherokee? What were the differences then (other than trim) between the Cherokee Limited and the Wagoneer?

Thanks.[addsig]

Poooorboy,

The Dana 35 rear axle came on most Cherokees, while the Dana 44 came on the Cherokees with the towing package. The model # should be stamped near the left output of the diff.

90Wagoneer,

The mid-sized Wagoneer and Cherokee were the same model line. They are only different in apperance (trim, #of headlights,etc.), they share the same owners manual because functionally they're almost identical. The Mid-sized Wagoneer has woodgrain trim, four headlights, different grill, and says "Wagoneer". The Mid-sized Cherokee has several different packages. "Limited", the most expensive Cherokee, had all optional features standard, as did any other "Limited" Jeep. [addsig]

Thanks Nick. My Wagoneer must have been repainted because it is white. I am going to pick it up tomorrow. My regular car is a Corvette and I always get a winter beater. This time around though, I was intrigued by the Cherokees and I wanted to get a good one to act as a second car rather than a winter punching bag.
image-missing.png
I think I have found it and I hope it lasts me several years.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back