Newbie paid $500 for this CJ7

Hi all! Nice site! So I just bought an old mobile home & lot and the guy said $600 more for his 77 jeep. I'll try to attach a few pics. And one of the jeep too! :p

It sat dismantled under a tarp for 3 years without being started so I have my work cut out for me I know. I topped up the fluids, WD40'd the cylinders, disconnected the gas and it turned over no problem

I have a lot of questions but I'll do some forum searches first. But perhaps someone could tell me what engine this is. I was told it was an AMC 304 V8 but it has a motorcraft carb and a ford coil and autocraft spark plugs. Could it be a Ford 302?

I know absolutely nothing about Jeeps or 4x4ing except from what I've read here. I've already learned that I should never never never call my Jeep a car ... and that all YJs are ugly :?|

Just one more thing...are those after market tail lights
A) way cool streamlined flush mounts
B) gheto
C) down right embarassing :redface:
D) belong on a YJ :?|

Attachments

• DSC00019.JPG
    DSC00019.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 182
  • DSC00022.JPG
    DSC00022.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 150
  • DSC00023.JPG
    DSC00023.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 179
  • DSC00026.JPG
    DSC00026.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 178
  • DSC00017.JPG
    DSC00017.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 151

Hi all! Nice site! So...

I know absolutely nothing about Jeeps or 4x4ing except from what I've read here. I've already learned that all YJs are ugly :?|

Thank you! Calling my YJ ugly is the supreme compliment!!!:D

You should try to stop old round eye from rusting, any more than it already has.
Take a close look at the body mounts & surrounding metal. also the entire frame. Don't just assume it's roadworthy.

Looks like it might make a nice project heep though!

If you can resell the mobile home, it might support your jeep habit for a few months.:lol:

Welcome to the family...and, like it or not, YJ's are part of the family too so no knocking on the cousins just because their eyes are different than ours.

AMC's were a hodge podge of parts from the other manufacturers but that is an AMC 304.

Your options for that are endless and you'll find that the Jeep bug bites hard and once you get the fever it's hard to get rid of. Please remember that CJ's drive differently than any other vehicle you have ever driven and with the age and that V8 it may be quite a handful on the road for a newbie. When you do get it on the road take it easy....give yourself a chance to get used to it a little before you stomp on the skinny. Wear your seatbelt at all times or you may not be around long enough to enjoy your new hobby.

that jeep is not in all that bad of shape. Like mentioned, amc 304 V8 is a great motor. parts are out there for them. Body doesn't look too rough except the rockers, easy cut weld repair.

Good find!! With a little work here and there, you'll be on the trails in no time...

Thanks for all the responses everyone! Even the advice from YJ owners is greatly appreciated! ;)

I did check the frame out quite thoroughly with a hammer before I bought it...no cracks or broken welds...still has black paint and only minor surface rust in spots. Looks like 2 C-channels welded together...not sure if I like that! And some of the rubber bushings between the frame and body are splitting.

I'm glad to hear the engine is a 304. I'm hoping to get it running this weekend with new plugs, new fuel filter and fresh gas. But I think the odds of the carburetor and fuel pump working are slim.

If it does start though, no worries of me taking this thing out on the road any time soon. Even after I'm convinced its safe to drive, I'll be in search of an experienced off-roader to give me a few lessons. I gather from Harry's comments it won't be the same as driving my VW Passat :MDB2:

So what is the best approach to fixing the rockers? Sheet metal or checker plate or both? PO left lots of checker plate behind...even cut to size.

Attachments

• DSC00020.JPG
    DSC00020.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 144

Welcome to the family...and, like it or not, YJ's are part of the family too

Thanks for all the responses everyone! Even the advice from YJ owners is greatly appreciated! ;)

Don't worry, I really am not insulted. I know my square eyes are there to designate the YJ as the best jeep ever!!!:p
I only give advise to CJ folks if it's something general, as I've never owned a CJ (not that I wouldn't be proud to have one!)

So what is the best approach to fixing the rockers? Sheet metal or checker plate or both? PO left lots of checker plate behind...even cut to size.
I'd go with both, since you already have the parts. Either way, you need to stop that rust.:bomb:

Back