No torque through tranmission

tobs

Hey guys,

I have a 96 cherokee xj 4.0l and awd trans.

When the vehicle warms up -

It has no pulling power, wont accelerate, especially driving up a hill. The tacho increases to about 3k-4k at full throttle but the speed does not increase past about 20-30km. This causes the temperature to spike also. When reved without load there is a whining/buzzing/whistling type noise from the front of trans(bell housing area).
I am suspecting a failing torque converter but Im open to any other suggestions.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Regards
Toby

Torque converter would be my first guess as well since there is an objectionable noise coming from it..

it could be..as well I am concerned about the transmission pump.
is there any way I can test either of the issues without dropping the whole transmission?

Testing it properly will require special equipment like a pressure gauge, fittings and special valve body pressure test block which is usually found in a dealership or a transmission shop. At this point, you said there is a noise coming from the torque converter area, this already justifies a reason to pull the transmission out to further investigate the internal components of the transmission. When a torque converter fails, its inevitable that there is going to be a lot of debris going through your transmission and sometimes a flush is just not good enough. The valve body hydraulic circuits are vulnerable to debris that eventually gets trapped and plugs a port or two. The filter can only hold off so much until it eventually fails or finds a way to bypass a circulation through the filter. It's best to pull the valve body and throughly clean it and give it a good detailed inspection along with the rest of the transmission.

Oh God. I'm having flash backs. I started out with a front seal drip and ended up $4000 light in the pocket. Started having a noise in the bell housing. Replaced the torque converter. Replaced the pump. Numerous flushes later, I was never able to get the shredded metal out and finally paid for a remanned transmission. Be careful.

my guess it's the converter.. all the symptoms heading into that direction. i'll give it a crack I guess

AW4 takes a TON of abuse before dying (unlike the 3 speed auto 9XX trans) Drop the pan and clean it, replace the filter and go new fluid. I also added a bottle of Lube Guard which is probably why it still works after being smoked by the radiator trans cooler having a cork in it (brand new from the factory!) Even if the filter looks okay, it can have a lump of stuff inside blocking the little opening (the screen then acts like a reed valve and makes that whistling noise)
The solenoids get gummed up and stick too. The Lube Guard (red bottle for Dexron fluid) does wonders.

Oh God. I'm having flash backs. I started out with a front seal drip and ended up $4000 light in the pocket. Started having a noise in the bell housing. Replaced the torque converter. Replaced the pump. Numerous flushes later, I was never able to get the shredded metal out and finally paid for a remanned transmission. Be careful.

But you have the 3 speed automatic, right?

Back