O2 Sensor Error Code w/ Good O2 Sensors...

TBWCUMI

Good morning/afternoon/evening, folks,

05 TJ Sport here...

My Check Engine Light has been consistently illuminated for well over a year with and indication of a bad O2 Sensor. Today when I had my tires replaced, they checked the O2 Sensors and the one that was indicated to be malfunctioning by the error code, I was told, was fine. I also had the spark plugs replaced. They needed replacing anyways, but they said that could have caused the error code to pop. After the work was done, I started the car, and no Check Engine Light.

One hour of driving later, the CE Light illuminates and gives the same error code as before. The folks at the tire store said the sensor was good to go. Any ideas on what else could be causing it if the sensor is, indeed, functional?

Thanks!

What was the code?? Some codes have a few possible causes.

P0153- O2 sensor slow response. This DTC may be caused by an exaust leak, signal circuit or return circuit short to ground or possibly a faulty O2 sensor. Which one did you replace? Upstream or downstream?. As a rule, if you replace an Upstream sensor, it's best you replace the downstream as well on the same bank where the DTC is occuring.

P0153- O2 sensor slow response. This DTC may be caused by an exaust leak, signal circuit or return circuit short to ground or possibly a faulty O2 sensor. Which one did you replace? Upstream or downstream?. As a rule, if you replace an Upstream sensor, it's best you replace the downstream as well on the same bank where the DTC is occuring.

That's the thing... I was told all of my O2 sensors were fully functional when I got new tires yesterday. So, I didn't replace any. After I left the shop (with new tires and new spark plugs), the CE Light was off for about an hour before it re-illuminated with the same code- P0153.

Is there a quick and painless way to check for an exhaust leak and elec. short in this instance?

Fully functional is one thing, functioning and performing as designed is another. This DTC refers to a sensor that's weak or a signal that's interrupted from relaying an instantaneus signal to the PCM , hence, slow response. This is comparatively detected and monitored by the PCM. Painless diagnostic?, visually and physically inspect the wiring harnesses involving the O2 sensors, if they look okay and no signs of chaffing on the wires or no corrosion on the connectors, it's likely the sensors are to be blamed.

Back