off topic motor swap for gas saving...

donnie850

This is just out of curiosity.. i have a 94 grand cherokee awd v8, im just wondering.. can i swap a newer more fuel efficient v8? Id like to keep my transmission and rest of drive trian.

Would a minor improvement in mileage save enough $$ to justify the expense of an engine swap?

If it were me, I'd do the 249/231 transfer case swap for 2wd, should see an improvement in mileage and reliability.

would a minor improvement in mileage save enough $$ to justify the expense of an engine swap?

If it were me, i'd do the 249/231 transfer case swap for 2wd, should see an improvement in mileage and reliability.

maybe a ford ranger hub kit, then the friont shafts, and all will stop turning. Probley good for 2-3 mpg...

Would a minor improvement in mileage save enough $$ to justify the expense of an engine swap?

If it were me, I'd do the 249/231 transfer case swap for 2wd, should see an improvement in mileage and reliability.

What parts do i need to buy to do this swap?

Google "231 249 transfer case swap" and read up. You'll need to swap the input shaft from the 249 into a donor 231 and modify the shifter linkage. Likely also need some driveshaft mods but it's a great upgrade.

depends on what transfer case you have. if you have the full time all wheel drive transfer case and you swap in a 2 wheel drive transfer case, there will be a little bit of power freed up from less strain on the engine. i believe the awd t-case is split 48/52 (correct me if im wrong), but having all power go to the rear will be a little more fuel efficient.

Back