only starts after key on for a while

btjeep

I have a 95YJ when I turn the key to start it the engine turns over fine but will not start, the check engine light will not come on either. If I turn the key to on and let it sit a while (3-20 mins depending on how cold it is) eventually I hear a clicking from the power distribution block the check engine light lights up then the fuel rail charges and when the clicking stops the engine will start and run fine. Once the engine has been started if I attempt to start again right away it starts fine. Any idea what this problem is?
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I had a whole reply typed then I started thinking. Do you think it might be in your key switch, not making a contact or something? My horn was all jacked up you could only get the horn to work by wiggling the blinker switch and then one night I woke up at 3 am in December to my horn going off. Just a thought and wanted to share a dumb story[addsig]

just a thought... have you checked your battery?

if it's old might be worth it to just replace it. I've never heard of a problem like that

[addsig]

My old XJ had 2 similar problems. the first was a weak starter that I could "trick" by trying to turn it over, letting it crank 4 or 5 times, letting go of the key and immediately trying to crank it again. It would fire right up that way.

The second problem was fuel delivery that I fixed by replacing the fuel filters...[addsig]

battery, starter and fuel filter all seem fine - engine turns over real good, just will not fire up until it sits for a while with the key on, like you would have to do with a diesal. I have switced the relays around in the power distribution box, did not seem to make any difference. Anybody have a clue what this could be???
image-missing.png
[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Have you pulled the line and checked the fuel delivery at the TB?</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think that is the problem??? I can here the fuel rail charge with fuel after the key has been on for a while 3-20 mins., it varies depending on temperature. After the clicking stops and the fuel rail has charged it starts up fine.[addsig]

my best guesses would be either the ignition switch itself or something along the lines electrically in the fuel pump... relay? the pump itself?[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>my best guesses would be either the ignition switch itself or something along the lines electrically in the fuel pump... relay? the pump itself?</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

I tend to agree with you. The real stumper is: if I turn the key to on and let it sit a while before trying to crank it, it will start. Does not seem to be a relay, I have switched them around and even used one from another jeep. Do you think there is something that has to charge up or heat up to make a connection? I would think that if the fuel pump was bad it would not start working by leaving the key on for a while???[addsig]

I just finally solved my starter problem similar to yours, my starter would not engage till after I let it spin for 2-3 minutes when it was cold out, It would spin just not engage the flywheel, I turned out to be corrosion in the starter wiring from the battery to the starter, corrosion will do two things 1 reduce voltage and current, 2 increase heat with increased restistance in the wire, this will in turn allow more current to flow through the corrosion, increasing voltage, giving as the dealer put it the "warm up Effect"and " cold problems lean toward corrosion" I would check your ignition switch and all wires and connections and see if that helps. [addsig]

I am still looking for the answer to this problem. The battery is good, the starter is good and it runs good once it starts. Things like the battery, starter, spark plug wires are not the problem. It turns over good just won't start. After it sits with the key on for 3-20 minutes it starts right up and runs good. Someone out ther must have experienced a problem similar to this. Help![addsig]

my 97 TJ does the same thing. Chrysler has a TSB on it also. Turns out it's caused by a weak (not actually bad) fuel pump. For my 97 it cost $255 (dealer cost) to replace the pump, filter, and sending unit (all one unit).[addsig]

check your distrubutor cap, mine will sometimes have a little condensation form inside of it, even a drop and it will take forever to crank over, this could explain it not firing right away, but the heat of the engine from trying to turn it over could dry up enough of the condensation to start it...just an idea, something simple to check that often gets overlooked, i know it happened to my old 2.5L in the winter alot...i think a new distributor cap is like $9 so it might be worth looking into...you'll be able to tell as soon as you pull the old one off, if you see a little moisture inside of it[addsig]

Back