Outside temperature reading incorrect

questor

Hello all,

New member to the board and overall automotive mechanically challenged individual (hehehe) so I thought I'd bring up a question that has been nagging for the last couple of months.

I recently purchased a used 99' Jeep Cherokee Sport which overall is in quite good shape. However I have noticed that when using the overhead mini-trip computer to display my compass direction and outside temperature readings......the external temperature reading is noticably off. The temperature readout displays readings consistently in the 30-40 degree Farenheit range even when the temperature outside is considerably warmer..... well into the 70's and 80's.

My question is what steps should I take and which components should I check to resolve this problem. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Questor

Welcome to the board! But I aint going to touch this one cause my inside and outside are for the most part of the year the same thing! Good Luck in your quest. tug

Hello questor and "WELCOME" to Jeepz.com,

I am not afraid to attempt a "help" on this problem. I survived helping to raise three kids to adulthood -- nothing scares me now! :)

questor, there isn't really a whole lot to the overhead console compass-thermometer thingy.

First, let me try to briefly describe how the compass-temp display system works.

If your setup is like most late model Chrysler products, there is one roughly 6 x 3-inch printed circuit board (PCB) inside of the overhead console. That PCB contains all the electronics for displaying compass heading, outside temp and the misc. DTE, gallons-to-empty, elapsed time, misc other eye-wash functions and the "Mode," "Step" and other push-buttons.

Here is a picture of a compass-temp-function PCB from a 99 Chrysler, Town and Country. The black box above the PCB is a Radio Shank "handi-box." The PCB will be installed in the handi-box and then the whole assembly will be installed above the inside rear-view mirror of my 85 CJ-7. A sort-of mini overhead console. It is not for nothing that my name is "Inspector Gadget."

image-missing.png

Only the compass and temp functions will be operative in my CJ. Enabling the other PCB functions would require all of the sensors and the main computer of the Chrysler van from which the PCB was removed. I am not going there!

Note that this PCB is not the vehicle main computer: the overhead console PCB is an ancillary computer.

There is also a temperature sensor mounted in the front of your vehicle. The temp sensor is usually mounted in the grill area, behind a headlight, or sometimes behind the front bumper. The electrical resistance of the temp sensor varies in accordance with outside ambient temperature.

Unfortunately, I cannot supply a picture of the temp sensor. I have already mounted it in the grill area of my CJ, but the temp sensor is about 3-inches long, black in color and shaped like the back end of a fountain pen.

The overhead console PCB applies a nominal +6 volts to the temp sensor via a wire which runs from the PCB to the temp sensor. A second wire returns from the temp sensor to the overhead console PCB (chassis ground is not used for an electrical return in this circuit). In a round-about way, the PCB combinational and computational logic senses the temperature dependent resistance of the temp sensor and converts that resistance value to the temperature reading that is displayed in the overhead console.

There you have the "Reader's Digest" version of how your compass-temp display works. So, you really have three things to deal with:

(1) The outboard temp sensor. (About $20.00 at a dealer, about $5.00 at your local Pick-and-Pull.

(2) The PCB mounted in the overhead console. (You should be sitting down now -- up to a couple of hundred dollars at your dealer or much, much less at the Pick-and-Pull.)

(3) The wiring which interconnects (1) and (2).

A quick system test: locate and disconnect the plug and socket at the grill mounted temp sensor. The overhead console thermometer should then show the letters "O" and "C," OC meaning -- Open Circuit. (Who would ever think of that?!?!) If the temp reading displays "OC," then it is likely (BUT NOT CERTAIN) that the overhead console PCB electronics are functional. Replace the outboard temp sensor.

Here is a pic of the PCB in the handi-box, powered-up, but with the temp sensor disconnected. I know the display is a bit hard to discern in this picture, but the display is showing "NW" (Northwest) and "OC" (Open Circuit.)

image-missing.png

Trouble shooting the PCB electronics is well beyond scope of anything I would go into here. But, if it turns out the PCB is the likely culprit, perhaps the easiest and least expensive way to deal with the problem would be to swap out the PCB with one from the local Pick-and-Pull. As I mentioned earlier, several late model Chrysler products use the same PCB. It would, of course, be best to obtain a PCB from a vehicle identical to your Jeep.

The fact that you have a changing temp reading, even though incorrect, implies that the PCB to temp sensor wiring is OK.

The PCB is electrically connected to the vehicle wiring via a plug and socket, so it is no big deal to disassemble the overhead console to gain access to and remove the PCB.

NB: The PCB is electrostatically sensitive. Observe all the usual handling precautions when messing around with the PCB.

I hope the above helps and feel free to ask for additional information.

Regards,

Gadget

PS: I was going to mention what follows earlier, but didn't for fear of coming off as a smart-a$$: For the sake of completeness, check to be sure the display is set for Fahrenheit and not Celsius. (Tap the "Mode" buttton to cycle between degrees "F" and "C."

Thanks for the warm welcome Tug & Inspector.

Double thanks for the detailed reply and explanation Inspector Gadget. Actually the suggestion to check Farenheit vs Celsius display setting is a good one....Occam's Razor and all that. But unfortunately I double checked myself and that's not the case this time.

So at this point I believe I'll proceed with your suggestion of disconnecting the outboard temperature sensor as the next step in this little adventure. If I get the open circuit indicator I'll probably just attempt to replace the sensor and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for the help
Questor

Hello again, questor,

You are welcome. I am always happy to contribute.

(Chuckling to myself about your "Occam's Razor" remark. To be sure, I have been nicked by that shaving implement many more times than I would care to admit.)

Philosophical and tonsorial considerations aside, good luck on your trouble shooting.

Regards,

Gadget

Hello questor,

A short follow-up note: I have attached a picture of the outboard temperature sensor to supplement the description provided earlier.

Here it is – removed from the mounting on my CJ and photographed on one of my K-Mart, “Martha Stewart Collection” shop-rags for photographic contrast and esthetic considerations. :mrgreen:

image-missing.png

I could not get closer to the sensor with my fixed-focus digital camera.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Gadget

Ahh that should give me a better idea of what I'm searching for then. Haven't had a chance to look yet between work and family. Saturday morning sounds like a good time for it hehehe. I certainly appreciate the photo. I'll try and update the thread again once I've made some progress.

Thanks again
Questor

just to let you know thats a chrysler mess up.They all have the same problem.Not only will the temp be off but the miles ,trip,and so forth will all be off.I dont know why but it has to do with the computer.and when i checked mine it said i had shorts in the temp control system.(non automatiic temp control)there is really nothing you can do to fix it ,if you do you have to spend alot of money hunting down the problems causing the errors in the computer and or the shorts.I never botherd with mine,because id rather put money elsewhere and i know how cold it is every few blocks and seeing another bank,lol.hope that helps

Back