piston ring replacement surgery

alexxela13

ok so i know i have to replace my piston rings. but what all has to come off, the head and the bottom of the engine? or is it possible just from the bottom. and buying the piston rings, how do i find out my bore stroke to get the right kind?

Webber YJ Question

That is pretty major surgery for a Jeep. I don't know that I would attempt it myself unless you have some pretty good experience tearing apart a motor or a friend that will help you that has done it before. Otherwise take it to a shop and have repaired / rebuilt.

Just my thoughts. Good luck. :D

hmmm thats pretty tough to do in the drive way unless your going to take the motor out.... you have to be really clean. you dotn want dirt on the cylinder walls when yoru installing or your goint to scrape the walls to hell.... since your going to have to do pistons i would just yank the engine and do a basic rebuild, which includes bearings and seals...

i just did piston rings on a civic, had to take the head off, and the oil pan... disconnect the piston from the crankshaft, and remove from the top. it IS quite a project...

i would suggest removing the engine and doing a complete rebuild... the kid is about 500 bucks from autozone... it includes pistons, seals, springs, crank, cam, etc... everything... and if you are pulling it all... you might as well get yourself a 258 crank and rods and make yourself a 4.5 or 4.6 stroker. though, if you decide to go with the "leave it in" technique"... you'll have to pull the head and oil pan

i still say go with pulling it... if you have any scores in the walls, you can get it machined for oversized pistons.. that will improve your torque and power by adding displacement, and will clean up the performance by keeping the cylinder walls in shape

Back