please help

backinblackyj

ok going down the road the other night all of a sudden it starts sputtering.

it has been doing it ever since. while shifting through the gears if i go over 1500 rpm before shifting in any gear it will sputter real bad and in 5th gear if i go over 40 mph it sputters bad.

since then i have changed the upstream o2 sensor, plugs wires dist cap and rotor.

any suggestions?

also i do not have a check engine light on but when i do pull the codes only thing im gettin is ac clutch relay.

94 2.5L Manual

In the old days you would go right to the fuel filter first for that symptom but today….

The ethanol they add to fuel is pretty dirty and will jamb up a filter in short order particularly after a long winter of digesting the stuff.

but it just like happened all of a sudden going down the road

That’s kind of how it works with a fuel filter and the more gas you give it the worse it gets. At any rate the fuel filter on a 94 YJ is easy to get to, sits right on the frame rail, kind of looks like a tin can with hoses connected to each end; couldn’t hurt to freshen it up if you don’t when it was last changed.

When mine did that, it turned out the PO had not changed the filter, and the injectors, rail, FPR and pump were toasted...

hey guys i woke up this mornin and went to autozone and picked me up a fuel filter.

i took another vehicle down there. not the jeep.

so i came back and wanted to just drive it down the road before i changed the filter and it ran like a charm. no sputtering or anything. so now it seems like its an intermittent problem. does it sometimes and sometimes it dont.

dont know if that will help out with any suggestions. just figured id throw that in there.

Mine was also intermitent, and got worse the hotter the engine got. By the way, it is also possible that you cat is clogged...

Glad you got the problem resolved but too bad you went to Autozone! You should have went to O'Reilly Auto Parts............ :)

I have been having exactly the same problem on my 94 2.5. I took off the fuel filter after reading this and it had a lot of pressure on the line on the engine side. The eisting filter was properly oriented. It's just odd to me that it would retain that amount of pressure. If it was clogged I would have expected the pressure to be on the tank side because the fuel couldn't pass through it. Any thoughts? I'm on my way to O'reilly's to get a new filter but thought maybe I'd pick yalls brains if that ends up not helping. And by the way the filter is a little clogged but not as bad as I have seen them in the past on other rigs.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Well, I got back and installed the new fuel filter. It's surprising how much pressure the system has. I didn't have the hose clamp tightened enough and ended up cleaning my driveway real well with spewing gas:) I went for a test drive and it continued to buck and sputter but after a couple miles it started acting right. I had put about 10 gallons of super unleaded over about 3 gallons of old gas before I changed the filter so it might have been a combination of slightly clogged filter and bad gas. I'm still thankful for this forum. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've come running to it to find some guidance. It's helped too. I was convinced it was electrical.

Thanks,

Bill

Back