Power not getting to the Dash!

BradJeeps

The wierdest thing happened on my '87 YJ 2.5 ... I park it in the shed for the winters and when i went to get it out for the summer, it was dead and not dead battery dead.

Put a new battery in it and still nothing. For some reason, power isn't even getting inside the jeep to the ignition/dash board. The analog clock isn't even ticking.

Is there some kind of main fuse or relay inside the engine compartment that could have blown or corroded over the winter?

I'm stumped! Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-The New Guy

Check all the connections/grounds. Sounds to me like you've got a bad 12v connection. There is a main fuse in the Jeep somewhere, I believe it's in the relay/fuseblock under the hood. Check that fuse. Can't remember what amp rating it has, I've never had to replace it on my YJ.

If that fuse IS bad, you've got a much bigger problem (massive short.) Those fuses/relays generally won't pop for no reason. I popped one once on another car while I was replacing the alternator. I didn't pull the negative terminal off the battery good enough and I tapped a wrench between a positive and the frame :D After that I was having all kinds of problems, I actually thought the harness had burned up somewhere. Took me like a whole day to figure out that the main fuse had popped.

The good news is, if it is that fuse, it only costs a few bucks. The bad news is, if that fuse is popped, it's probably not a fluke.

Thanks Jared. I'll see if i can locate the main fuse. Do you have any idea where it would be? Is it in the engine compartment or inside the firewall under the dash somewhere?

I was able to do a quick check to try to see where the power is stopping. The hot wire going to the started is good. The ground is good. But I loose the smaller hot wire when it goes into the wiring harness.

Does anyone know of a wiring diagram for a YJ 2.5?

Thanks again!

My friend is borrowing my Haynes manual for my Jeep. I have a 2.5L YJ just like you. When I get that manual back tomorrow I'll consult it for the answers :D

Back