Prestolite Distributor or something else?

ArkansasJeeper

Well, so far I've been the exception to the 'Carter carbs/prestolites run like ****' rule. After 5000 miles (since rebuild), though, the 30 yr old Prestolite might be starting to fail.

The Jeep starts and idles beautifully, but after you rev it up, it won't idle back down- it tries, but it alternately detonates and misses. It kind of sounds like the timing advances to accelerate but never retards. As this problem appeared all of a sudden, I wondered if my last big road trip hadn't destroyed the distributor.

On inspection it looked normal, but the rotor had a lot of side/side play (felt like the gear had some slop) and the distributor shaft itself has about a quarter inch of vertical play. Is this normal? Is the distributor fried? Do you think the gear on the cam went with it?

Or is the problem something entirely unrelated? The engine pulls vacuum to spec (when it hasn't been revved/isn't running rough) and the fuel supply looks solid. The carb's venturis/float are clean and functional as well. It's a one barrel YF, if that helps. PCV is also clean and functional.

I appreciate any insight you guys have to offer. This sucker is my daily driver, and I'm up s*** creek if I can't idle below 2000 rpm at stop signs (not to mention quite concerned about my engine- the long block is pretty new at 15k or so).

Thanks in advance....

Back