pretty much set on getting a TJ

tozir

im going to college later this year, and want something better than what i have now, and i have always liked wranglers, but i didnt get a chance to get one for my first vehicle. hopefully soon (possibly a graduation gift), i will begin looking to buy something.
what really set me on a course to want to get a TJ happened today. i went to lunch with a friend who has a 2001 tj, and it was just awesome, and his is stock.
now i know a tj may not be the ideal college/dd vehicle, but whatever, not sure if im using this right but, its a jeep thing.
either way, just wondering if a 1999 and 2000 tj are pretty much the same, because thats probably the newest ill be able to get, unless someone out there knows a way i can haggle the price down on a tj...and how many miles is too many miles for a 99/00 tj? and is there any specific flaw that seems to happen alot with these years that i could find and haggle price?
thanks,
a possible future owner of a tj, tozir

I know you will get some good pointers from owners of 99/00 year Wranglers but here's a couple of articles that can be of some help as well...

Top Jeep Wranlger TJ - Great Buys No Lies - Jp Magazine

Before You Buy A Jeep Wrangler

Jeep Wrangler information

Your definately going to want the 4.0 six cylinder, auto or manual trans is a personal prefererance. Jeep mileage is meager at best so staying close to stock trim (tires, wheels, gearing) will help keep you away from the gas pumps a bit. An 'X' or 'Sport' model may be your best choice. Dana 30 axles are okay, Dana 44's are better. Stay away from Dana 35's if you have any anticipation of someday going to larger tires. A hard top can provide a bit more security if you have to park out in the open (college parking lot).

I've bought a 2003 Wrangler Rubicon brand new and am still wheeling it. A Jeep is a Jeep and you'll either love it or hate it. Sure, it's not our 'family' car but I wouldn't part with it.

Good luck shopping.

yup. hard top and auto are great on the 6 cylinder. wife and i both had these options at the same time on both of our yj models. solid jeeps. i know, not a tj but, same difference.

I got ours for my daughter about a year and half ago, she will be going to college this fall. It's a 4-banger automatic, probably the least desirable TJ, but it was in real good shape for a '97 and only cost $4300 after I haggled the used car lot down when my mechanic found some repairs that were needed. They were asking $4500. A screaming deal, so I jumped on it. Looked at a lot of other TJ's that weren't nearly as nice and cost a lot more money. A hardtop would be better for college, ours has a soft top but I put in a radio with a removable faceplate that you can lock in the console. There are other lockable security consoles and storage boxes you can get. I haven't been able to find a reasonably priced used hardtop but it doesn't have A/C so I'm not really interested in one anyway. Gas mileage isn't real good on any of them, OTOH as a college student you might not be driving a lot anyway.

The most driving ill do is when I drive home, about 350 mi. Mpg doesn't really bother me. If I'm driving something I love I can deal with a lil less mpg. Thanks on the replys so far

you'll love it. we all do. once you get one, you'll wonder why everyone doesn't own a wrangler

I often wonder why anyone even bothers to make any other vehicle. I can understand big trucks for hauling, but everything else is pretty much just a waste of potential jeep steel.

What kind of Mpg would you expect with an i6, 5 spd, about a 4 in lift and 33 in or 35 in. Tires

My first vehicle is a 97 2.5L TJ and I bought it for $7500 in 2008. I have a soft top and half doors. If I had more money to work with when I bought mine, I would've gone for a hard top, 6-banger Jeep but I can't complain about mine! I love everything about mine and I can easily take my top down and ready to ride under the sun! Just remember, there's so much upgrades you can do to a Jeep and it'll cost you a lot of money but it's all worth it! good luck!

What kind of Mpg would you expect with an i6, 5 spd, about a 4 in lift and 33 in or 35 in. Tires

Before I offer a guesstimate let me throw in a couple of more variables such as tire tread type (i.e.: street, A/T, aggressive M/T), final gear ratio, and how much other stuff like bumpers, winches, armor, etc. have been added.

My '03 on 35" Goodyear MT/Rs with 6" of lift, 4.88 gears, auto trans, aftermarket bumpers, winch, and tons of armor gets between 10 and 13 mpg. However, I drive it like a mad man. :shades:

my stock 87 with a 4.2 head on a 4.0 block and weber carb gets about 13mpg. auto, 6 cylinder, hardtop, hard doors, ac, cruise control, the whole 9 yards

Before I offer a guesstimate let me throw in a couple of more variables such as tire tread type (i.e.: street, A/T, aggressive M/T), final gear ratio, and how much other stuff like bumpers, winches, armor, etc. have been added.

My '03 on 35" Goodyear MT/Rs with 6" of lift, 4.88 gears, auto trans, aftermarket bumpers, winch, and tons of armor gets between 10 and 13 mpg. However, I drive it like a mad man. :shades:

ive already found a bumper i would put on it (shrockworks), a winch eventually, not sure on gears and idk on trans (auto or manual, meh). i wouldnt want to put straight up mud tires on, maybe if i could find something more agressive than an all terrain, but nothing that ill go through a tire in 10k miles. any ideas?

goodyear wrangler duratrac mud tires. very aggressive looking and rides so quiet on the highway. i loved mine

image-missing.png

goodyear wrangler duratrac mud tires. very aggressive looking and rides so quiet on the highway. i loved mine

Yep, great all around tire. However, while shopping compare with...

the new BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain A/T (Brand new offering)
Dick Cepek F-C II
General Grabber AT2
Pro Comp Radial All Terrain
Mickey Thompson Baja STZ Radial (Brand new, may not be available yet!)

or for the more financially challenged or environmentally inclined take a gander at what Treadwright (30/9.50R15 PUMA | Retread tires | Cheap truck tires | TreadWright) has to offer:

30/9.50R15 PUMA
image-missing.png

Puma (Formerly A/T): Puma is a high-void all-terrain pattern with interlocking tread blocks and siping that provide traction and handling without high road noise. Our original all-terrain pattern, the Puma continues to impress even after over 20 years in service. The Puma is a good everyday driver and excels in rock and loose dirt.
Regular Price: $80.11
On Sale For: $75.66

Don't be scared off by the fact these are retreads. This company has a very good rep for putting out a quality product. Are they the same as a new, premium tire...of course not but look at the price difference!

I would be inclined not to go for a retread,if your gonna be hitting the trails. But,maybe someone with experience with retreads will put their 2 cents in.

one thing about retreads is if/when it rips, it only costs a little to get a new one, unless they come apart so easily, that it would be cheaper to get new.

on another note, is there really any reason for me not to get a 4 cyl, other than the power? i wouldnt think it would have much less capabilities unless you're in deep mud or something.

I would be inclined not to go for a retread,if your gonna be hitting the trails. But,maybe someone with experience with retreads will put their 2 cents in.

I've never ran them myself either but JP Magazine did an article a while back that gave their impression. Treadwright used to be High-Tec Retreading as you will discover if you click on the hyperlink in the article.

BF Goodrich All Terrain Tires - JP Magazine

Heck, at those prices go ahead and buy a set of retreads for the street and a set of good off road tires on steel rims for the dirt.

Back