Problems with AMC 360 auto trans

Brad77CJ7

I just rebuilt the Motorcraft 2100 carb. with the warm-air choke, and I have an electric conversion kit on order.

I am having a problem with the jeep starting. You had to jiggle the handle just right to get it to start so we replaced the neutral safety switch. Still didn't work, we checked the wiring and determined that the ignition switch was bad, and replaced it. It turned over when you used a screw driver to actuate the ignition switch, but nothing happened when we turned they key. We determined that the mechanical connection between the key cylinder is not good so we are trying to take the cylinder off and fix that. We didn't have the tool to take the locking ring off so we left it until tomorrow. So just for good measure we tried starting it with the screwdriver again, and the starter was going but the engine just wouldn't catch.

It's a 30+ year old vehicle, there are bound to be problems, but it is like the jeep has it in for me. Does anyone have some helpful advice that they are willing to give?

Make sure that the Mechanical Rod(link) from the ignition Switch (electrical) to the Key Tumbler assy. is properly aligned. if the key is in the run position, make sure the switch is at the run position as well before you screw down the switch. As for the starting issue, Check for a blown fuse on the fuse block particularly the ECU fuse and the ignition fuse.

I would just wire it in with a couple toggle switches for the ignitions and accessories and a push button starter.

The mechanical rod from the key to the ignition switch is not moving when I turn the key, I pulled the steering wheel off but I don't have the tool to get the lock plate off. Is reconnecting the rod to key cylinder possible or do I need a new part?

p0p
The mechanical rod from the key to the ignition switch is not moving when I turn the key, I pulled the steering wheel off but I don't have the tool to get the lock plate off. Is reconnecting the rod to key cylinder possible or do I need a new part?

Yes it's possible. it requires A Virtue called patience. make sure that the rod is not bent.p0p

I will have to work on that if it snapped off is that a relatively easy to find replacement?

It is just these little things.

Working on the body is going to be an animal in itself. Thank god the power train is alright (*fingers crossed)

Relatively easy to find? , that depends on your geographical location. is there a junkyard close by there?. I found an old Chevrolet with the same steering column on my Jeep. all i had to do was get it re-keyed.. some of the Parts are still available through A dealership or Omix.

She's running again, and pretty strong all things considered. Still working on the ignition issue. IF you jam a screwdriver in the ignition switch she turns right over. I have the steering column disassembled as far as I can go but I can figure out how to get the key cylinder out of the column. The Hayes manual doesn't cover it. Any ideas?

Thanks for all of your help.

There is a Phillips screw holding a piece of plastic with 2 metal tabs on the ignition tumbler side. remove that then insert the key in the tumbler and turn it to run and depress the metal button seen through the steering column and pull the tumbler out. Make sure the Battery is disconnected when you do this to prevent any accidents.

Step by Step Info.:1. Remove steering wheel, this would be a good time to disconnect the battery as well.
2. Pry off plastic cover
3. Remove lock plate. With the tool this is easy. The tool compresses the lock plate against it's spring so that you can get the retaining ring off. It is possible to take this off with C-Clamps, Large Channel locks, etc. Can be very difficult to put back together with these tools. (I did it both without and with the tool, trust me it is $15 well spent)
4. Remove philips screw that holds small piece of metal that connects to turn signal stalk.
5. Remove 3 screws that hold turn signal switch assembly in place.
6. Unhook wiring harness to turn signals. This is located under the dash attached to the base of the steering column.
7. Next you will need to loosen the mounting bracket that holds the steering column to the dash and then remove at least two of the bolts that hold the bracket to the column so that you can thread the wiring harness up to allow the housing to be removed latter.
8. You will see a switch with two long copper pieces coming over the top of the ignition lock. Put the key in and turn to the on position. Pull the switch out with a pair of pliers. A small clip should also come out. Note the way all of this is oriented so that you can put it back later.
9. Remove small torx screw to release lock cylinder, pull the lock out.

Back