purchasing 26ft enclosed car hauler

BOWZ

hey, i'm looking at purchasing a 97ish car hauler. it is a gentlemens that passed away. it has been sitting for over 3 months now and hasn't moved. it has 3,500lb axles, a/c, electric jack. lots of scraches where they took off old sticker lettering for a race team, a few gouges and all the tires are dry rotted. it defently will be a fixer up er. looking at pulling it with my dodge 3500 cummins. it has a 6in lift riden on 37's. 4.10 gears and 6sp. it pulls my 21ft cuddy cabin boat like nothing so i think it will do alright with this hauler, but i'm sure i will feel it, unlike the boat. so what do you guys think would be a good price to offer. thanks

bowz

if it was a gas motor, I would definatly re-gear, with a diesel, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure you have a way to monitor your transmission temps. that hauler, loaded with a jeep on it will weight a LOT more than your boat. you boats wet weight is probably 3-4 thousand pounds, a lifted jeep with 35" tires, winch and all that stuff probably comes in close to 5 thousand pounds, plus the hauler has to be another 3 thousand pounds alone. I haul with a 20ft open beaver tail trailer and my trailer has to weigh over 1000 pounds easy.

I found the best deal on tires to be Northern Tool, you'll probably need at least a 2000# rated tire, most likely a 205 75-15R, and make sure they are trailer tires, lt truck and or pass. car tires will not cut it, this happened to me this summer, my spare tire was a lt truck tire, I had a flat and had to use it, this happened on the highway at 70 mph. not fun.

S1034051-1.jpg

Also service the hubs and brakes, towing that much weight you don't want those to fail.

Back