Quieting my YJ

GuidosCrawler

Ok so my 88 YJ has an OX rear locker and a Terra low transfercase rounded out with 33" Mickey Thompsons. So my problem is that at about 55 mph and above I have a strange vibration that comes and goes in about 5 second intervals can anybody help me diagnos this problem?

Problem two I have removed the carpet because it was old and disgusting which of course makes everything even louder. I have been told to put a spray in bed liner in instead of redoing the carpet does this quiet better than the carpet and is one spray in bedliner better than the others?

Thanks for any help!
Nathan

Can't help you on the vibe except to say check your steering joints in the front. My wife's wrangler had a loose nut on the passneger steering rod and it gave a weird vibe.

I have no carpet in my 87 yj and it is so loud versus the wife's carpeted 93 yj. I keep thinking of a spray in liner also

The vib sounds driveline. If you havent already make sure your angles are correct. Box liner works ok. Its cold in winter and warm in summer. You really feel the heat through it as there is no insulating air gap like under the carpet.

If you dont already have a driveshaft with a double cardon joint i would save up. Makes difference of night and day.

Back