Recall on TJ Headers?

mysharona

I have seen the post here before. I now have seen a cracked TJ header. Buddy's 97 TJ has two cracks in it-just happened this week. Is there a possibility that Chrysler will offer a recall for what appears to be a defective product? I know it's a 97 and it's not a "trail rated" jeep...

Yeah the cracked header is an issue with the 4.0s. My buddy also has a 97 TJ that had to have a header replacement. I guess it is just a matter of time before my 99 does it :evil: Even if there was a recall they probly would just slap the same type of header on and it would crack again in another 50k. I say, as many people do, if something breaks on your Jeep it is just time to upgrade it to a better part :wink:

Oh and your friends Jeep is "Trail Rated" That new stuff/badge is just advertising mombo-jumbo.

Hey K-phat, remember that "if it is not trail rated, then it is not a real Jeep 4x4" . hehe, whatever. That commercial bugs me a bit. IT's just a sticker!!

It's not just a badge-it's a double tube bumper, front and back. the only modification i noticed on a trail rated at the dealer. just picture them engineers picking out probably the biggest crap lookin bumper and deeming it a trail worthy modification. thanks for the replies-i'll let him know it's time for the Borla he's been considering.

Yeah a friend of mine has a 99 Sahara and has had to have his replaced 3 times. I have the 2.5 so I got no worries.

I work at a shop and we just replace the manifold on a 97 tj with the 4.0l and the new header we got from the dealer was a different style from the one that cracked. I think jeep changed the design, if they consider the exhaust part of the emisson system and I would think they would it should be covered for up to like 80 or 85 thousand miles, might want to look into that. Evan

A buddy of mine hounded DC Customer Service enough that they authorized a stealership to replace his TJ exhaust manifold for $50 out of his pocket. Not bad.

No recall exists.

thanks for the replies and tips. i will pass on the tidings of comfort this weekend. as for the hounding, that sounds like a righteous pursuit. if i may quote Lisa and Bart, emphatically repeating to Homer, "can we go to Mount Splashmore?" DC deserves that right of attention on this one.

the ehaust is not a recall check out headers to replace them there are designed not to crack I replaced mine with a Borla.

my 99 came with a cracked manifold the guy didnt even wheel I put the banks torque tube on the day I got the jeep. it has a lifetime warrenty

just to provide an update...he pulled out the header this weekend and welded a piece of a wire hanger into the cracked portion. you know you're a jeeper when...he's a little low on funds and plans on placing a borla in after the holidays schmolidays. and ridding the 31's in favor of 32's. and configuring a custom rack to adapt to his kargo master rack.

Back