Recovery strap recommendations

anthonyp

Re: RE: Re: Time for the Tourney!

Getting ready to invest in a recovery strap. I've seen lengths available from 10ft to 60ft with ratings from 10,000lbs up to 89,000lbs.
What length/rating are you carrying or do you recommend?
Any types/brands to avoid? Ever had one break on you?

Thanks

CJ front leaf swap

Don't know what brand I have, but it's a 20' long, 20,000lb strap with hooks at each end. I've never broken one, but I've seen the end results of some that have....not pretty. Please, whatever you do, never, never, ever use a strap and a chain together (or a nylon rope and chain, or anything in combination like that). What happens is the chain breaks before the strap, and the recoil sends the chain hurtling along at over 200mph towards the back of your head.

I used to use a 3" diameter, 25' nylon rope that was rated at 150,000lbs....made for pulling large tractors and combines out of the mud. Never worried at all about breaking that one!

RE: Soft top repair

i'd invest in at least two, get one with hooks on the end, and get one with loops on the end, each will come in handy in different situations. different lengths are good too. 15' - 30' is usually good. and as far as brand, not a major concern, there isnt a dominant brand really like "nike" or something. you would just hope that a strap rated to 20,000 is not lying.

and what kind of recovery points do you have? cause actually, i'd suggest a loop strap first if you're going to buy just one, cause loops work best around tow hooks and d-rings alike.

I used to use a 3" diameter, 25' nylon rope that was rated at 150,000lbs....made for pulling large tractors and combines out of the mud.

My favorite recovery tool of all time was a 2"(+/-) rope that came from a shipyard salvage sale. About 50' long with looped and braided ends.

As far as straps, I like the really stretchy kind. The yank straps, or bungee straps, or whatever you want to call them......they work good in the mud and sand. Especially the sand, where the tow vehicle wants to get stuck easily.

I'm using a 30 foot, 30,000 lb Explorer ProComp strap. Used it many times over the past 4 years with no problems. I'm just guessing here but most of the major brand name straps probably come out of the same factory with different manufacturers names stamped onto them. My buddy has a Warn strap and we can't tell the difference other than the name on the strap. As for length, get something long enough that if someone is stuck in a mud hole, you'll have enough length to attach to a vehicle on solid ground. I'd recommend getting one with the loops on the ends. You can always add a D-ring or shackle or whatever you want to call it to the end of the strap if the loop won't work in your situation.

I would avoid the ones with the metal hooks. The larger loops on the ones without the metal hooks will fit your recovery points properly and many offroad parks will not allow the straps with the metal hooks.

I use generic straps bought from local auto parts stores. I have a 30' and a 20'. I also have a couple good strong shackles rated at 6 tons (often called D rings) to hook them together if need be.

please avoid the ones with hooks, in the event that they come loose from their attatchment they can become deadly one pound bullets. i have a 30,000 lb, 3 inch strap but the 20000lb straps are just as good. i got the 30000lb strap because it was 30 feet long and length is usually a good thing. when straps are in use.

Junkpile said:
I used to use a 3" diameter, 25' nylon rope that was rated at 150,000lbs....made for pulling large tractors and combines out of the mud.

My favorite recovery tool of all time was a 2"(+/-) rope that came from a shipyard salvage sale. About 50' long with looped and braided ends.

As far as straps, I like the really stretchy kind. The yank straps, or bungee straps, or whatever you want to call them......they work good in the mud and sand. Especially the sand, where the tow vehicle wants to get stuck easily.

i have one of those types of ropes..i call it a my tug boat rope..LOL...the only problem i finbd with it is that when it gets wet and covered in mud it is one heavy sucker to lug around...i think the three inch wide 30,000 pound straps are plenty strong for offroad rigs..and they are pretty light :)

I'm using a 3" stretchy kind that Warn makes. With my Chevy, that thing will pull out anyone. And when it comes loose or if it were to break....it falls right to the ground.

With it, If I'm not carefull I can easily lift the front of the stuck vehicle into the air and make them do wheelies. The only thing I don't like about using the stretchy ones is that with all that energy that builds up in them, and along with a powerful 7000 lb truck...It will also rip off solid tow points....

I also like the kinds you use with tractors too. Like someone said previously, they're rated for 150,000 lbs. or even more. They are easy to find and will last forever if used correctly with a truck or jeep.

currupt4130 said:
please avoid the ones with hooks, in the event that they come loose from their attatchment they can become deadly one pound bullets.

YES!!!!! Any metal on a tow strap/rope is a BAD idea. I've heard many storys of people dying from them. Me and my friends have only used one once. it was a Yota pulling out a Chevy (or at least trying too :roll: ) and it came off and nailed the Chevy in the front of the hood and then went through the windshield. Luckily there was no passenger :wink:

RE: How much should i sell my YJ for?

Craig said:
As for length, get something long enough that if someone is stuck in a mud hole, you'll have enough length to attach to a vehicle on solid ground.

Around these parts, that could be several miles! :shock:

RE: Re: Vacation pics

never never never use a strap with hooks! if the strap breaks, there is a good chance someone will get killed by that hook. I carry 2 straps... a 2" 20,000lb strap for light stucks and a 4" 40,000lb one for big stucks. Make sure they are snatch straps and not tow straps.. snatch straps are designed to stretch 20% in length and are much better for recovery operations. Also, a good set of shackles come in handy for attachment or if you have to link 2 straps for length (for a light pull ONLY - never snatch a vehicle with metal anywhere in the mix)

Finally got a new Jeep

Thanks for the great info! Looks like the consistency is 20-30 feet and 20,000 to 30,000 rating with NO METAL (with the possible exception of a couple of very heavy duty shackles/d-rings...just in case).

Thanks again!!!

graewulf said:
never never never use a strap with hooks! if the strap breaks, there is a good chance someone will get killed by that hook.

If the strap breaks the hooks stay where they are. If the recovery point breaks, then the hooks become projectiles.

Sparky-Watts said:
graewulf said:
never never never use a strap with hooks! if the strap breaks, there is a good chance someone will get killed by that hook.

If the strap breaks the hooks stay where they are. If the recovery point breaks, then the hooks become projectiles.
While that may be the case, if a tow point breaks or a strap comes loose, the metal hook can be an ugly projectile.

Besides, the hooks are usually small and do not properly fit a mounted tow hook and the loops are too small too. Overall, those type straps are just not the best choice for what we use them for.

Side visors for YJ?

TwistedCopper said:
Sparky-Watts said:
graewulf said:

While that may be the case, if a tow point breaks or a strap comes loose, the metal hook can be an ugly projectile.

Besides, the hooks are usually small and do not properly fit a mounted tow hook and the loops are too small too. Overall, those type straps are just not the best choice for what we use them for.

Quite true. I wasn't thinking about that when I bought my strap. However, to keep the strap from flinging back should it come loose, always throw a heavy blanket over it (or tie it around it) to act as a damper to absorb all that energy. A couple of people I know (farmers, mostly) have done that before and say it has saved them a lot of grief. Apparently it works quite well. Obviously, though, the best thing is to not have the hooks, but even when using a hookless strap, this should be done in case the recovery point separates from the vehicle. Even in the event that a hookless strap breaks, and no other metal parts come with it, the strap alone can cause a lot of damage and serious injury.

Regards,

Soon to be shopping for a hookless strap,

Sparky

Re: shipping a jeep, couldn't find old posts about this.

anthonyp said:
Getting ready to invest in a recovery strap. I've seen lengths available from 10ft to 60ft with ratings from 10,000lbs up to 89,000lbs.
What length/rating are you carrying or do you recommend?
Any types/brands to avoid? Ever had one break on you?

Thanks

DO NOT USE;

Tow straps-(vehicle killers)
High Lift Jacks (man killers)
Bungie Chords (eye killers--I almost lost my left one....)

Use chain, since chain does not store energy. Why? The link space takes up the stress when the chain fails and the chain falls to the ground.

Bottle jacks since you don't want to lift the body, but the axle, and they bounce out or spring out and kill

These are rubber with sharp metal hooks in the ends, need I say more........

Robert

Re: RE: How much should i sell my YJ for?

Be carefull with chains though. They like to rip off whatever they're hooked to on the vehicle being towed!!! They can easily bend the frame and pretty much anything!

RE: Who

I have 3 - 15 footers (Loops-NO HOOKS)and a couple of D-rings. Also carry a couple of chains for absolute emergencys and an extra 60' of cable with loops at each end and 2 Snatch Blocks, Pair of gloves, Bungees, 50' of nylon rope...keep it in a large ammo can..stays dry and all in one place!...oh...and tire plugs and a Air Compresser, the cheapy kind...but in a pinch it works

Back