Regarding leaf springs...

Saurian

Catalytic converter question

Ok, went mudding up north in the Cherokee, been a while since it's gotten some good mud under it, now everything's all nice and loosened up, drives really nice, like it always does when it's been off-road. Had a great time, wish I had some pics, it's by far 10 times over the filthiest vehicle on the block :wink: ... But... I was carrying a 200ish pound boulder in the back, and I hit a log in the trail kinda hard. All is well, and Jeepy seems unscathed, but I an a bit concerned about the leaf springs... How are they supposed to sit, with no load (except a couple shovels and some shirts) on level ground? Should they be curving up off of the axle, laying flat on the axle, or down over the axle... I know that number 3 is not good, and I'm not there, but they're sitting really quite flat. Should they be more curved up, if so, how much?

Thanks...

Oh yeah, came up with a new acronym on the way home...
JEEP:
Joyfully Enjoys Extra Paths

PPS: WranglrWhat94, still want to hit the trails, should have an easier work schedule soon...

There's not much of an arch on stock springs. A little sag is to be expected, which would have them looking pretty flat. Is the rear end sagging? How's it ride? If the jeep is sitting level and rides well then I wouldn't concern myself. If it is sagging badly you might have to go out and buy a new suspension lift and bigger tires :wink:

Wider wheels????how??

They sit pretty flat.. if they are arched over the other way, they are definitely sagging.. we replaced the springs on KaosKidd's Xj and it lifted him 3/4" (the replacements were from the junkyard) - his were arched backward, it is a 99 XJ

SOLD

PPS: WranglrWhat94, still want to hit the trails, should have an easier work schedule soon...

Anytime you want to man....just talk to me on AIM and well get together. Im always up for a lil muddin

Thanks for the info, all... They're sitting arched up a little, back is not sagging, and it's driving as well as ever, nice and smooth, and my engine has really gotten some pickup back... I guess freeway driving from the Detroit area to the Upper Peninsula, and back and forth across the northern half of the state for about 4 days will clean anything out of the ol engine...

now if I could just figure out why I smell burning oil after I returned from the mud :oops: ... Due for a change, so I'll check it out then...

Back