Repower the 47 Willys??

Mark 47 willys

WE are trying to work out our money problems with what we have, so this goes with the other post I have with the Subaru & getting rid of a 78 El Camino. Thank you for helping to think this out: Mark.
FIRST: the 47 Willys it is leaking everywhere, most everything needs rebuilt and with no top, can't drive it in the cold & rain. But I have driven it and it does OK (for my first jeep).
It has a 6 Cly Ford, Dana 18, & a T 90 that slips out of 2nd and is worn out too. for about $ 850.00 I can get a rebuilt T 90 and a kit for the 18. everything else needs rebuilt anyway.
I have a new rebuilt HP 4 bolt main Chevy 350 and a Turbo 350 that works but I can rebuild that with a full B&M kit. I do not know if it would even fit the 47?
OK: what to do???

I 350 & an automatic in a "47 Willys...BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me preface this by saying I am keeping the my focus on saving money first. Since you stated money is an issue right off the bat, I assume that is a major priority for you. Later on when money is better, well that is a whole different set of priorities.
How well does the current engine run? If it runs ok then leave it in there. Oil leaks, do you really have to fix them now or can you wait until later? Transmission, the T90 is notorious for that 2nd gear issue. It will not lead to trans failure, but makes driving it a pita. It is a easy transmission to rebuild. It has some small needle bearings that can be a pain to keep in place.
Master rebuild kit for the T90 is about $175
Master rebuild kit for the 18 is about $200
If I were inclined to make this a DD then you want economy. A 5 speed trans would go a long way to better gas mileage. Used AX5,AX15 are plentiful, cheap, and will easily handle the power you have. Although you will need a GM 231 t-case to keep the right side front driveshaft. The 350/350 combo can be done in a Willys, but money will become am issue with any new engine and trans swap and economy will not be great.

Back