Ring & Pinion Swap

geronimo_e

Here's a dumb cuestion, how hard is it to swap the pinion and the ring from a cherokee to a wrangler for the dana 35 and 30 diffs. couse i want to go from a 3.something to the 4.10, :) you could say im very mecanicaly inclined but that swap kinda intimidates me a little couse ive heard of precise machinery recuired... I have swaped one in a nissan truck going from 3.55 to 4.11 but that was diferent couse no scary shims are involved, Any info would be great... Thanks... by the way I get the R&P's from a friend's cherokee four $200, is that a good deal?[addsig]

ebay is a good place to shop for gears... you can often find a set of 4.10's for about $20 or $30... but as far as changing them, most people would say to leave it to the mechanic... but like most mechanic jobs... the hardest part is getting the courage to rip something apart. once you're in there... juts do everything in the right order.. and you're alright... i did mine, as a rookie, in an hour... no big deal... just make sure it all goes back where it came from, and with proper torque[addsig]

$200 for both sets? You might as well buy them new. Hey SNITTY, you set up a rear end for the first time in UNDER an hour??????
:-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O [addsig]

didn't say UNDER an hour, just an hour, for a guess... that's with all the tools, being at a garage with a lift, to work at eye level. To only change a ring and pinion in that time is not unheard of[addsig]

who knows anything about precision gears and u-joints?[addsig]

Hey Snitty, I was just jaggin' ya.
Reason I asked was, I talked to a garage that "specializes" in transmissions and rear ends. I asked them what it would cost to set up, My, already empty Dana 44 rear, I had all new gears, bearings, set-up & shim kit. He quoted me $350, and it would take at least "half a day". Needless to say, I took it elsewhere!
:-? :-? :-?

edited by: joeycj5, May 10, 2003 - 03:49 PM[addsig]

understood... plus.. i wasn't doing it to make profit, and did it without trying to rip myself off... but... different axles have different differentials too... such as the style of axle retainer and things like that
[addsig]

Back