ripped out my pulse air hoses, emission laws?

hoobness

Hi

kinda long message here, bear with me..!

I live in southern NH, and have recently added a weber to my 87 yj 4.2.

Along with that(actually before I did that) I had removed and plugged all of the vaccum lines, vent lines and any other unsightly emissions component.

The only things I left were the thing that assist in performance, like the advance line, the carb vent hose, PCV vent and valve to/from the carb and valve cover, and the vacuum to the brakes.

Jeep runs awesome here.
:)
then...

I got a little excited another day at the beauty of my engine after the weber install and RIPPED OUT ONE OF THE PULSE AIR HOSES(mistake) down to the diaphram valve connected to a 3/4"pipe -the one that runs down under the motor and attaches to the exhaust pipe below the manifold.

(jeep still runs great BUT...)

NOW.. :(

I have this crazy loud exhaust note coming from the pipe INSIDE my engine compartment, NOT TO MENTION the exhaust pouring in there now.
:( STINKS !
My awesome jeep sounds like one of those goofy overcustomized rice burners.

HERES THE PROBLEM....
I dont weld.
I want someone to plug the port at the source below the manifold.
No one will touch it because it is "tampering with emissions" I guess its a huge no no.

Until then I have to drive around like this, and there is no way they will pass me (visual inspection) if they can hear and smell the exhaust when they open the hood.

What are the laws for this in New Hampshire and am I F*%Ked when inspection time rolls around?

I cant be the only one in a state without the sniffer test to pop on a weber.

advice??

YJ Heater Housing Removal?!?! 9-1-1

Ask around in your area I am alost sure that there is some shop that will do your exhaust even though it is messing with emissions. Also sounds like a good time for new exhaust all the way back. If you have some friends that are into musclecars or drag cars ask them you will find a shop that will do what you want them too. Evan

Hey Hoob...

Where in So. NH? I'm in Haverhill Ma...

<--- DUH!!!

Growing up in Manchester, I know that they didn't have tests but, alot of southern towns did have sniffer tests. I wouldn't worry about passing in a non-sniffer town, THey wouldn't even know what to look for. BUT the exhaust leak is a big NO-NO, they'll take your $20 before you even get it in the garage just to fail you.

ok no biggie...i did the same thing. check out the vacuum diagram that i have attached to this reply. i have the valves circled, with red arrows pointing to them. if you still have the valve that the vacuum line connects to (that attaches to the pipe) just get a vacuum plug and plug the vacuum port. that will close the valve that allows air to pass. you can do that on both pulse air valves. when i first took the pulse air hoses out, before i figured out the vacuum plug thing i took a hose and connected one hose to the other. all that did was created a loop, air in out one hose and in the other. ok....nevermind i cant figure out how to attach the image, but you probably know which vacuum port i am talking about.

when i first took the pulse air hoses out, before i figured out the vacuum plug thing i took a hose and connected one hose to the other. all that did was created a loop, air in out one hose and in the other. ok

Jeep90, are you sure we don't have the same jeep... I currently run "the loop" I'll go with your idea of plugging them independently

just plug the small vacuum port that the small vacuum hose was connected to. not the big port that the pulse air hose connected to. :D

new england trip

Hoobness, JP. If you need a mass inspection sticker, I can get you one. I am located in Wakefield, (10 min south of haverhill. as for the NH sticker, I have no contacts.

Lastly, you guys interested in wheeling? check out the events page! or email me
jps4jeep@aol.com

Jeep90, so don't plug "not the big port that the pulse air hose connected to". What do you do with them, just leave them open?

If you have an attachment can you send it to my email?

richsia@yahoo.com
Thanks[/quote]

yeah just leave those open. when you plug the small vacuum port on the front of the check valve it closes the valve so that no air will pass through either way. i will try to send the attachment tonight after work.

Back