Roof rack on hard top

piratessoul

I'm about to mount a roof rack to the hard top of my '95 wrangler. Anybody done this? Seen it done?

I just can't afford the one that mounts independent of the top and don't like the way it looks, anyway.

I'm getting a rack out of a junk yard for a few pennys and mounting it right to the top. Then, I'll get the cargo basket. I figure I can mount the basket to the Jeep with, or without, the hard top.

Keep us updated. I too am interested in a setup like this. My biggest concern is the strength of the top, and how I could spread out the load, on the rack mounting points, so the hardtop doesn't crack.

The one I'm getting is off a Mercury Villager (my wife drives one). It will mount pretty close to the sides, where the top starts to curve. That will be the strongest area.

I also like the versatility of this rack. It allows you to adjust the rails over the entire length. I have hauled a lot of weight on the Wife's van.

I'll get pics as soon as I get it mounted.

If your concerned about the weight cracking the top use some plates.Cut some steel plates for the top and the inside of the roof to help spread the weight out some more.

back when I had a hard top and drove my jeep daily, I had ski racks on the roof. I used what Thule called the mini roof kit, it was designed for mid 90's 2 door honda civics, and it fit the roof of my YJ perfectly. I used it for maybe 8 years till I sold the hard top.

Best part is, there was no drilling required, it simply attached to the rain gutters. I can try to find pics.

My top only has rain gutters over the door openings. I picked up the rack last night ($5) and laid it on the Jeep, just to get a visual, and it looks pretty good. I'm considering drilling all the way through, to the inside, and using long bolts to mount the rack. This way, I could remove the top by hanging it from the rack. I really like overkill!

I can't find any pics of the set up, but it only needed the rain gutter above the doors. there was an extension bar that moved the rear bar farther back. Hard to explain.. I might have a old photo I can scan in.

Wow, sounds like I could use one of those racks pirate. Can you post some pics here? My wife wants that big goofy rack system you described above and I just cant deal with the look of it.

This is what I want to do to mine! Is this what you wanted to see? Found this on another forum.
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

That is very close to the rack I bought. I'll get it mounted Saturday and, hopefully, get pics posted on Monday.

I think that looks really good!

That rack is off an explorer; since Mercury is made by Ford as well, I would not be surprised if its the same or very similar at least... By the way, I recommend reading that article; VERY informative!

I finally mounted the rack. It was really easy. I just smeared a dab of silicone over each screw hole before punching the self tapping screws through.

I think it looks great! Like it could have come as original equipment.

Check my profile for a pic.

Looks nice! Girlfriend has a wrecked '96 exploder she picked up for parts, for her 'good one'. Besides the rear axle, I now have to buy the roof rack off her!

But, just wondering why you used tapping screws? Could a person use regular bolts? I don't think I like the idea of the pointy screws sticking through.

The one on the original article (the linki) used bolts instead of taping screws... You can go either way.

I used the self tapping screws because my top has a double layer of glass. I thought the void was larger.

I was going to use small bolts, originally, but decided to try the screws first, because of the void.

I'm actually very happy that I can take them back out and use bolts! I want to use the rack to remove the top, in the spring. Large washers and cap nuts should do the trick.

Is that for sure a Ford Explorer rack on that black Jeep? I have a 65-70 pound fishing Kayak I need to figure out how to mount over my jeep to get to the lakes. Is the hard top stong enough to hold that kind of wieght?

Back