Roof racks for hard top TJ

captainasu

I am looking for some advise on purchasing a roof rack for my TJ hardtop. I would like to find something low-profile which mounts to the roof itself but I haven't found anything so far. I have seen several of the "safari" type rack which mount to the w/s frame and the rear bumper but I would rather have a cleaner look. Any advise, pros/cons, etc. will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Captain [addsig]

I haven't found a rack that mounts to the hardtop itself, but that's not to say they don't exist!! (I stopped looking after the realization that the Jeep would no longer fit in the garage if I went any higher!!) My only concern would be the amount of weight you could actually put on the rack. Do you or anyone you know be able to fab a rack? That might be a possibility...sorry :-( Good luck, Patti[addsig]

not sure what kind of rack you're looking for, but I fitted a Thule rack to my Hardtop with some "artifical rain gutters" works quite well, I have a 6 pair ski / snowbaord rack on there now, and it holds mountian bikes in the summer. I believe that they offer cargo cages as well, a bike / ski shop can show you options, or thule.com -JP[addsig]

Hey I just found this in the for sale section:

Author Cleaning out the garage
1987-YJ

Posts: 10 I have a "luggage rack" (never used for luggage) that mounts on top of your hard top. Super easy to put on/take off. Great for tying down stuff on top.

I also have a trail rack for the rear. Basket on top with ammo cans on both sides, holds your spare tire (I have a 32' on there now, but could hold much bigger), swings outs.

I live in CA, I could ship the "luggage rack" but not the trail rack.

I can send you some pics if interested.

1987-YJ

I think the first logical question would be, what do you intend to carry? Hard-top mounted racks will only hold about 100-150 lbs. I have the congo cage which holds 500lbs. Click the link in my signature to view my rack. The thing I carry the most is my surfboard, but it also carries wood, and could carry bikes, when I get the attachment. It bolts to the windshield and behind the tail lights. I love it. I get lots of looks.[addsig]

Back