Saturday on Georgia Pass, Colorado

cewtwo

Well, the plan was to go and ride SOB Hill that is on Glacier Ridge just off of Georgia pass. Didn't even make it all the way to S O B Hill. We took 285 to Jefferson, CO, then headed West toward Georgia Pass.
We made it, but as we headed up, the snow load got heavier and heavier. At the Pass itself, the ground was covered with snow. The snow was very wet and was affecting the ground below it. At this point Glacier Ridge road (leading to SOB Hill) was on the right and straight ahead was the back side of the Georgia Pass trail leading to Breckenridge.
We went about 1/2 way down literally cutting through the virgin snow and making a path for a full sized vehicle (quads had gone before). The snow was between 8" to 12" most of the way. It was also very actively snowing at this time. We got all the way down to a cross road (past the steep and fun parts) and decided to climb back out the way that we came. We turned around and headed back.
At the bottom of a small saddle we were faced with a little white pickup coming our way. We started to back up a hill, when the pickup moved to the side of the little trail. He put on the brakes and slid over the edge toward some trees. He tried to get out but mired himself in deeper. All of us got out. Tom headed for the back of the Jeep for the "Tread Lightly" tow kit. I went over and talked to the guy. He took the trail, he said, because he had seen that full sized vehicles had been down it. We told him that was our tire tracks he had seen. We decided to winch him out.
People are so funny when they get winched. They want to steer the car as if it were moving of its own volition and gun the engine to "help." That complicates the winch. He kept trying to steer away from the winch cable and onto the road. He was gunning his engine to "assist" the winch. That just got him in deeper. Of course, when the the guy's pickup would slide our Jeep would slide along with it. The passenger side of his pickup was getting closer and closer to a pine tree. The smell of pine must have been strong at about that time.
We stopped the operation and got the snatchblock out. The other driver wanted to get chains out for his tires. We told him that he didn't need to (not for the winching anyway). Tom put our tree strap around a good sized tree. We attached a clevis, put the winch cable into the snatch block, and firmly closed the clevis. That allowed the Jeep to pull the pickup straight onto the trail. Another attempt was made. This time I kept reminding the guy to keep his tires straight, engine in neutral, and to let the winch do the work. The winch pulled him right onto the road. He had control again, so we put the equipment away and field dressed the cable back onto the Jeep. No damage from either the equipment or the trees.
I backed the Jeep up the hill to just beyond the crossroad allowing the guy to drive forward catch the other trail and head down the mountain. Situation good.
Tom told me that he didn't think the Jeep could make the wet, slippery, snow and mud covered trail back the way we had come to Georgia Pass. It was interesting on some of the steeps, but we made it with fair ease. Good thing, too, as my AT&T phone had no service in that area. Don't worry about us getting stranded, though. We also carry FRS radios and have a CB radio.
We took Glacier Ridge toward SOB hill. Some quad riders stopped us, telling us of drifting snow that blocked the trail ahead. After that, we decided that was enough fun for one day so we headed toward Applebee's on south Wadsworth in Lakewood to have all you can eat Riblets. They were almost as good as our morning in the wilderness.
What a fun sport, ey?

Charlie

Great story. There were some good pointers about using a winch. I would like to get a winch for my next jeep. I have to admit that I don't know much about using a winch. I need to get a book about winch techniques so I don't make a fool out of myself or make a situation any more difficult than necessary.

A book on using your winch may be a bit of overkill. There are instructional sheets that come with your new equipment, but you will also talk to people on the trail and on excellent forums such as this one.
I bought the winch from a local supplier. I did that to get support. Sometimes when you buy off the net to save money, it can cost you in information.
Buy the "Tread Lightly" kit when you buy your winch. When I see trees in our national forest that have had the bark cut through by a winch cable just wrapped around a tree, I get upset. Most of these kits have a tree strap (saves the tree by distributing the pressure and tension and will not cut into the tree), a chain (haven't used it yet), A snatch block, a pull strap, a clevis, a red safety tag for the hook, gloves and instructions. Well worth the money. Don't destroy the trail as you winch. Use a Tread Lightly kit instead. Let's work at keeping trails safe and open.
Nothing, however, replaces practical experience. I remember when Tom told me that we had to practice using the winch. I thought it was silly and impractical, but the practice really helped. It didn't take us long and we only practiced on 3 different runs. It definitely gave us the knowledge that one obtains through the feel and the action of the cable as it runs through your leather-gloved hands.
Then, of course, there was The Most Excellent Moab Adventure. I go to Moab over the Superbowl weekend every year. The trails are usually clear and very empty. Great time to experience that Utah back country. Of course, it can also assist you in building your confidence level in all facets of 4-wheelin'.
We had started the Onion Creek trail on a crisp Sunday morning. It was a lot of fun and getting to the top was easy. Hmmm, the trail continues on as the Kokopelli Trail. We took it! Some parts of the trail required airing up (for clearance), other areas required airing down (for cheap traction). It was snow covered ground everywhere. No recent trips had been made over that trail since the last snow. I needed to winch over several steps that looked like they were larger than my tires are. There was one area that had a sharp fall to a valley floor and then a steep climb to get out of the valley. When we counted afterwards, I came up with 15 seperate winchings. Ya live ya learn!
Made it out just fine. It was not only a lot of fun, but a great experience and confidence builder, as well.
Basically, what I am saying is the more that you use something, the more you will be able to use something.

So go out there and have fun.

Charlie

Please post pics of your most excellent adventure!!

Awesome story, I was trying to visualize what happened..
I also love it when people get stuck and then try and help you help them and just almost always makes things harder. It is also nice to have all of that happen and a good trail day and not tear up anything!

Great report! I realy want to hit those trails up sometime.

thats two long a$$ posts, i'm thinking about printing them out and reading them during class tomorrow, maybe i'll throw in my $.02 later....

Back