Scorched Transmission

tonythetj

I have a 00 tj, and have been having problems with heating the transmission. I have the automatic 3 speed with no overdrive. Is there anyone else that has this transmission and has had heating problems??? I always go wheeling and all and one day it seemed to be slipping horribly, so i shut it off and heard the oil boiling in the pan and oil was bubbling out of the dipstick hole. I filled it back up and it seems to be doing fine now, but im for sure going to change the oil and filter in it. Im also planning on getting an oil cooler for it, but i was just wondering if anyone else has had problems with their automatics.

Never had any problems, but I have always used transmission coolers on all my automatics. They're pretty easy to set up, and some radiators have the inlet/outlet for the lines. However, the seperate transmission coolers perform much better.

one more thing, I wouldn't let it get that hot again. You should probably get a cooler before you go wheeling again or do much of any heavy driving. When the transmission fluid gets that hot (around something like 250-270'ish) it can sometimes even catch on fire and burn up completely...which would not be too fun.

You should also throw a thermostat on there while your at it, cause even with a cooler it can still get hot!

I thought all auto transmission's in trucks came with coolers now a days?

I guess not. next time I buy a new vehicle (wich will probably be never) I will check that option off.

I know most, if not all, trucks do have them...but I don't think all auto Jeeps do. Maybe they do though???

Are you sure there are not two lines running from your transmission to your radiator?

i got a 97 and that happened to me twice, the cooler is in the radiator and it gets cluttered with mudd and doesnt cool off properly get an aftermarket cooler and put in in line and cut out the cooler in the radiator

Back