Shackle Length

RedWrang

Ok I know its been covered several times but im too lazy to look for it. Whats the longest Shackle I can put on my YJ and still be safe. I dont want to get the front end out of wack but I want to get rid of the stockers. What is the distance of the bolt holes center to center. Thanks.

HEATER FUSE KEEPS BLOWING

I think 1" of extra shackle lift is the limit. That is a shackle 2"s longer than stock. Some will say more some will say less but for me that is about it. tug

Stock shackles are 4" between eyes.

Shackles will lift approximately 1/2 of the length that they are longer than stock. For example a 5" shackle will lift 1/2", a 6" shackle will lift 1", and so on.

I would not get anything longer than a 1" lift. Lifted shackles will add caster to your steering and the longer they are, the worse it will be. I tried a 2" lift shackle when I first got my Jeep and it was pretty bad. I now have 6" shackles (1/2" lift) on it and I have no problems whatsoever.

If you want to fit 31" tires on your Jeep, a 1" lift shackle should be ok. Anything bigger than that and you should do either a suspension or body lift.

5" will be fine, I wouldn't do over 6" which will give 1" of lift. Keep in mind that they greatly reduce your approach and departure angles, so the shackles will hit everything. Not fun.

Have you considered a 1"-2" body lift or an add-a-leaf lift? I run stock shackles, 1" body lift, and 1.5" AAL which allows me to fit 32" tires with TJ fender flares.

i really wish my body mount bolts were more easily removable... i'd like to do an inch or 1.5 body lift

Well, you can get the concensus from most of the guys, but I feel I need to speak up. Mine are 2.5" longer than stock giving me 1.25" of lift. I don't feel unsafe. I also have a 4" suspension lift. I clear 33's with lots of room to articulate. No bump stop extensions needed. :D

C
(need to get some pics up soon)

I am planning on doing a 1" body lift soon to clear 35's I am just worried that something is going to break like a body mount or something. I have two seperate friends that we attempted to put either body lift or just new mounts on and the rear passenger mount always seams to break. (the bolt that goes into the body snaps) plenty of pb blaster nice torque bar, but breaks.

jps4jeep said:
I am just worried that something is going to break like a body mount or something. I have two seperate friends that we attempted to put either body lift or just new mounts on and the rear passenger mount always seams to break.
That's common during dissassembly, but doesn't mean the finished product is going to be weak on the trail.

it doesn't affect the final outcome... but it does make for a VERY VERY inconvenient job of removing a broken off bolt

hi_c whats the overall lenght of yours and whats the distance of center hole to center hole. Thanks

That would be 6.5" from what he said. An inch and even and inch and a half is the max though so he hit it right dead in the middle. tug

I also want to note that my 1.25" lift shackles have a welded box in the middle of them. These are not homemade. They are by Warrior Products. Here's a pic
image-missing.png

c

i would never pay for premade shackles.... i'd make some, or at most have some machined

Back