Six Cylinder Mods

Jeepskate

I've been on the verge of a rebuild for about 20K miles now.

I've been putting together a list of mods and parts that I would like to include when I get to it.

I have some tech questions for those in the know:

Are there any good cams for the 258? I'd like to keep or improve my MPG since I'm a daily driver. But I'd like to pull a little more power out of the 6-banger for trail crawlin and sand traps. I don't mind burning premium if it's worth it, a couple MPG is worth the 10 or 20 cents if you pencil it out.

Has anyone done or know someone who has done the 225 head swap. Apparently the 225 head has better airflow and is basically a bolt on fit (Kinda).

Any links to good AMC engine tech websites, books, etc. would be a plus.

I'm pretty low budget and shade tree so I need to keep it on the cheap, but quality counts.[addsig]

i have a good jeep book that has a chapter on engines and several pages on selection cams, it is called the 4x4 preformance handbook, might want to check that out[addsig]

the 4.0ho head delivers a heck of a lot more flow.. some claim up to 40 hp from that... i doubt that much... but of course, i've never seen it to say so... crane cams sells a good replacement for the 258... crane part #753901 is what they say will do the best work for the buck[addsig]

yeah... lots of work involved in that... its basically like swapping in the 4.0, without swapping the actual motor... just everything else involved[addsig]

Back