Sloppy steering

snowdog

wondering how to correct this problem. steering has almost and inch and a half or more of play in it HELP!!

When you turn the wheel(input) the wheels should turn instantly(output). Just follow the mechanical path from the wheel to the steering knuckles. Have someone turn the steering wheel while you watch what happens. Watch the steering shaft, is there immediate response at the end where it goes into the box when the wheel is turned? Watch the input and output shafts on the steering box, is there instant response from the output shaft when the input is turned? Watch the steering linkage and make sure it is tight and responsive.

The joints on the steering shaft will wear and produce sloppy steering. The box can wear and produce sloppy steering, and the linkage ends can wear and produce slop. You need to isolate it to one or more components. If it's the box, there should be an adjustment screw located on it that lets you tighten the gear mesh back up as it wears.

RE: AC Compressor only runs for a couple seconds

ok i got the sloppy out of it now it drifts while im driving it. 79 CJ7 stock everything except the add a leaf and 32 in tires

RE: AC Compressor only runs for a couple seconds

So what was the problem? That will at least eliminate a few things that the "drifting" could be caused by.

Motor mounts and Clifford header

what solved the problem with the sloppy steering though?

RE: Re: RE: Spring-Over vs. Suspension Lit????

What do you mean by drifting? Did you perhaps tighten the adjuster on the box a little too much?

Other than the components that could have also caused your steering slop, wander can be attributed to worn suspension components, improper suspension/steering geometry, worn balljoints, loose fasteners....

hard to explain when im driving the jeep goes straight but if i move the wheel a little bit it starts to wander and i have to counter it by turning the wheel. i hope that helped lol i dont know how else to explain it

RE: The happiest two days of a boat owners life...

Loosen the adjuster back up just a little and see if that helps.

RE: well then...

YOu have stock shackles? Sounds like how my YJ handled when I got too shackle happy.

How do the balljoints look?

Back