So I know it's been talked about..

TheMonk

But I just took my CCV hose off at the intake manifold and my engine runs so much better and smoother... so any input on what I should do from this point forward (what long term fixes, reasons not to have it disconnected, anything you got)?

1989 Cherokee Laredo 4.0 FI

Your old ccv or hose is probably plugged. Shake the valve and see if it rattles. If it doesn't, it's plugged. I'd just replace it though and put it back on...they're cheap.

Nevermind, I just ran up to the dealer and they have it but the parts department is closed on saturday. Hm, well looks like I'll have to wait till monday.

CCV doesn't have a valve that rattles, that's a PCV valve. Just check all your lines for dry rotting and/or collapsing, and check the fittings for obstruction. Once you feel the crankcase pulling air from the airbox you know it's working right.

Bounty__Hunter said:
CCV doesn't have a valve that rattles, that's a PCV valve. Just check all your lines for dry rotting and/or collapsing, and check the fittings for obstruction. Once you feel the crankcase pulling air from the airbox you know it's working right.

Woops, I'm guessing I was a little tired when I wrote that

Bounty's right...

The only thing I would think at this very moment, and not to underestimate you or anything, but did you do anything about the hole in the intake where you pulled the CCV hose? Pulling unfiltered air into the engine=very not good...

I would guess that the increase in engine operation may be simply that you are getting more air into the intake, which most likely means that one of your breather hoses or the elbows have become clogged... The one towards the back of the engine compartment, if I recall correctly, has a smaller orifice, and can notoriously get clogged with oil-slime...

Be careful if you take them off to clean, they snap off VERY easily... As far as the dealership goes, this part was actually NOT insanely expensive, as most dealership items are...

Yeah I'm gonna replace as many lines as possible, though I think its just the one. And I did put a foam element from a lawnmower air intake over the hole so it should be fine for now, haha.

Thanks for the help, I'll give you an update when Monday comes around.

Back