something is binding up?

Ragtopman

Ok here it is 91 yj I6 5spd. When I park it for an extended period of more than a few days something seems to lock up. When I get in release the parking break put it in reverse it doesn't want to move when I release the clutch. At first I thought the p-break was sticking, but I now think it is coming from the drive train. When you give a little extra clutch to break it free it breaks with a loud pop then is fine. Any takers on this one????????

Is it only in reverse?
Does it shift into gear easily, before this "pop"?
If you put it in neutral, will it roll?

I'm going to go with the obvious and cheap first, without having the answers to the above questions. Change the gear oil in your transmission and axels.

Sounds like the parking brake sticking in the rear drums. I'd check the rear brakes and rebuild them if needed, clean them up at a minimum.

Does it ever do it if you park it without the parking brake?

Lift on my '95 YJ

Does it forward and reverse. Will not roll. Rear shoes and spring kit have about 2k on them and are 6mos. old

For those who dare to dream

ok, I'm going to take bounty's route.....

When you "release" the p-brake. Do you get an audible "pop" or something that tells you it released? In other words, are you sure it completely disengaged?

Give me an O!!!...

Yea the break pops it will rock a bit back and forth like if it is still in gear but will not roll. I'm stumped. It just feels like it's in the drive line.

When in doubt, trottle out

Does it do it after parking for an extended period without the ebrake engaged? If it does, this rules out the ebrake.

hmmm, so it rocks a little. I'm going back to the transmission or pumpkin gear then. change the gear oil in both. Then see what happens.

It has to be somewhere in the driveshaft, gears, bearings or brakes. Raise the rear on Jackstands and start with the driveshaft, then work your way to the gears then to the bearings. I assume that by now you have thoroughly checked the brakes.

My old Ford used to do this to me. Right about the 2K mark on a new set of brakes. They had to re-adjust the rear pads Once this was done VIOLA no more sticky.

IF your in freezing country, IF your brake shoes have moisture/water in them, IF you park overnight and beyond with E-brake on, THEN shoes may be freezing to drums - BTW, where is lazy way lane (not another state to memorize the capitol of, I hope!!!!)LBR

Sounds like a sweet place, RTM - I've never been to the city of Key West before, but I have ventured into Eastern Oregon once - LBR

Back