Soot in exhaust pipe

derrelw

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and glad I've found you. I have a 2000 Wrangler Sahara w/ a 4.0 auto and have noticed really black what looks like soot in the end of the tail pipe. I installed a K&N FIPK kit and a high flow muffler when I bought the jeep and it runs great. Is this soot normal or is something out of whack?
Thanks,
Derrel

Hey welcome to the board/family

That soot that you are descibing is normal, it will vary from vehicle to vehicle, generally the more soot there is, the richer you engine runs. With the addition of the equiptment you have listed, With a increase in air flow, the computer in your jeep will automatically adjust the fuel curve to compensate.

Johnny

Thanks Johnny. Is there anything that I can do to make it run cleaner? What octane fuel should I be using? I live at 5500 feet and spend lots of time in the mountains around Albuquerque (up to 10000ft).

Derrel, I wouldn't worry about it, it is a normal thing. If you start getting dark black or blueish smoke, then I would start to worry. The vehicle is not running dirty (i think that is a proper response) When gas is combusted, there is a residue that is left behind, that is the soot. the richer the engine runs, the more soot there is!

Back