Speakers in Rear Soundbar

southtj

Has anyone installed 6 1/2" speakers in their TJ soundbar? It's made for 5 1/4 but I've heard that 6 1/2 sometimes fit with no modification. I've got 5 1/4 Boston Acoustics in the sound bar now that I'm going to move to the front to replace the 4x6s in the dash.

Yeah, I have Alpine 6 1/2" Type-S in my soundbar, they install easily and sound great. The speakers are built with a rubber surround so that it can stand extreme temps, humidity, and the occasional rainshower. They're about $100 but they're worth it. Still looking to replace the dash though.

This is what they look like. They're 6 1/2" with a shallow mounting depth so they can fit easily into the soundbar. They handle a lot of bass and power and are a great buy. It's also good to go ahead and change your stereo too so that everything works better.

Attachments

• P4120078.JPG
    P4120078.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 544
  • P4120091.JPG
    P4120091.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:

Will the alpines fit in a 2000 TJ? I need something to give it some bass. Sucks going down the road and you can't hear anything.

I believe so because I have a 98' TJ and I don't think there is much difference in the soundbar between the 2 years. They're great for some added bass because I have them and my stock dash and all I really hear is the soundbar. Plus, they fit easily in the soundbar because they have a shallow depth

Donk, any necessary wiring other than connecting the new speakers up to the existing wire? Not much of a sound guy here. Thanks, KJ

Forgot, have you installed new speakers in the dash? If so, how did it go?

When I put my new stereo in the dash I was forced to include a new wiring harness to replace the factory. So the answer to any other wires is no, to my knowledge. For question #2, no I have not yet put in new speakers, but i am looking to possibly find some new ones this weekend. If you want to replace the dash the size is a 4"x 6" speaker, or you can order a custom bracket for a 5 1/4" speaker in one of the catalogs. Hope I was able to help ya, and wish to hear if you add any new speakers.

Donk523 said:
If you want to replace the dash the size is a 4"x 6" speaker, or you can order a custom bracket for a 5 1/4" speaker in one of the catalogs. Hope I was able to help ya, and wish to hear if you add any new speakers.

If you want save some money you can custom make one with some 18 - 20 gauge tin. I used the originals for a pattern and just started cuttin. Took a little ingenuity, but it looks stock and behind the plastic you can't tell anyway. Sorry I don't have any pictures to post since I'm not in the area.

Got em in yesterday with pretty much no problem and they sound much better. I just had to drill new holes for the mounting clips, stuff with poly fill and mount. World of difference. And mounting the 5.25s in the dash were a snap with the adapter.

Back