Spring-Over vs. Suspension Lit????

SkrogPappa

I am ready to give my '91YJ a lift but can't decide on a Spring over kit or a 4" Suspension lift. I know that a spring over is less expensive but I'm not concerned with price. Give me some pros and cons for things like: Flex, Strength, Safety, Highway Driving, etc. Thanks

Re: RE: Spring-Over vs. Suspension Lit????

extremeYJ said:
SOA + 4in Lift = :D

Well then at least you could fit some 53"+ tires on there :wink:

But really, I would do a search. This has come up many times here in the past and pretty much all the info is here somewhere.

Also, alot of it is personal prefference and what you plan to do with the rig.

I wouldn't say a spring over is that much cheaper unless you're able to do the welding and everything yourself. With a 4" suspension you should get a SYE kit and cv driveshaft although not necessary (you could lower your transmission/transfercase) and you still have to pay for new springs, shocks and longer brake lines. With an SOA you need the same minus the cost of the springs and you have to get either a high steer conversion (expensive) or a bent drag link. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go SOA with the stock springs till I could afford different ones and a good set of shocks. With the SOA, you don't have your springs under the axles to get hung up on.

Re: RE: New Jeep owner--- stuck @ 2000rpms...

spring over pros: 5-6" lift, fit 35" tires w/no fender trimming, have flat springs that have lots of flex, improved ground clearance under axles, is hard core 8)
spring over cons: really top-heavy/roll over waiting the happen, handling is impaired b/c of increased height, increased wind resistance, no use for 35" tires with stock axles, need cv driveshaft, involves welding, requires more steering mods
4" lift pros: quality lifts such as bds and re flex very well and have better than stock handling, fewer driveline mods necessary, less tipsy, can fit 33" tires, get new springs, bolt on, can get away with only dropped pitman arm for steering mods
4" lift cons: quality lifts are pricey, have to put money into stock axles to run 33" tires, not as extreme as soa, can only fit 33" tires, increases wind resistance and higher center of gravity, requires slip yoke eliminator
I would say it's personal preference--a quality 4" lift will be very streetable while soa is more hardcore though it too can be very streetable. Right now I have 3.5" of suspension lift and will not go any higher w/o wider axles. My 3.5" lift has let me go on double black diamonds with no problems; I can only imagine what a soa would enable me to do. Personally I love what my rancho springs let me do (racing springs :D ). A soa does have more potential, and should I get wider axles, I will likely do a soa.

NEW Pro Comp Steering Stablizer for XJ

I'd reserve the SOA on a YJ until I was getting into the 36" tire range. That way you can run a 2" lift spring SOA, and avoid messing with the flat wet noodles they use for factory springs. I'd probably go SOA with factory springs if it was just for the rocks and I only wanted 33" tires, but for doing everything else you'll probably be happier with a lift spring. Just my opinion.

RE: well crap

I agree with Junkpile, on waiting on the SOA unless you want to go 36" or bigger. A SUA lift will probably suit your needs fine. I have a 4" SUA and a 2" body lift and I run 35" tires. I haven't sunk money into my axles to run them either. Just do whatever you think you will like the most.

I'm happy with my SOA. I did it all including tires for about 700-800. Though, I waited long and searched long for the right parts to come along at the right times, and I made a lot of stuff myself

RE: really rough ride

soa and dont ever look back. its one of the most effective suspension modifications next to a 4 link and coilovers when doen right

RE: combat advice

currupt4130 said:
soa and dont ever look back. its one of the most effective suspension modifications next to a 4 link and coilovers when doen right

I wouldn't really say that. In my opinion, 4 links suck. 1-links (and 2, if done right) are where it's all at :wink:

RE: Rough Country spring height????

Wrangles I have to ask......

I guess by 2 link you mean a ladder bar setup.....but what is a 1 link? How does that work?

Flex - advantage SOA
Highway driving - advantage SUA
I'll reserve jusdgement on safety and strength because many factors could change my answer, especially the quality of welding and equipment.

If you are planning on a daily driver and occaisionally going offroad, then do a SUA. It is more stable, not as much lift, simpler to do, and will cost less (I say this because you won't need to do as many other mods)

If you want to dedicate the Jeep to offroading then do a SOA. It is the best setup if you want to run very large tires. Better clearance and greater flex, but it requires a lot more work to the steering, drive line, etc.

1 link?

RE: combat advice

Ummmm, wow!! They are very common setups. Here's some good writeups on them. For more, go to pirate4x4.com and search "grader ball", "one link", or anything like that.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235977&highlight=grader+ball

Here's a pic of a grader ball in use...on a 1 linked vehicle:
bd3c-4.jpg

30bf-4.jpg

And ya, you can get a little flex out of a setup like that :wink:
073f3a97-4.jpg

intersting, i hadnt seen that before... ive seen single leefs mounted transaxle, but not that

88Wrangles said:
Here's a pic of a grader ball in use...on a 1 linked vehicle
Looks like a great setup for a trailer rig. I see it utilizes a trackbar to prevent lateral movement of the axle, but it appears to allow the axle to pivot front to back (one side to the front when the other side moves toward the rear). That explains the awesome flex, but it could get ugly on the road.

He's incorporated a pivoting mount into a modified ladder bar suspension. It's still a "two link" ladder bar, the frame mount just pivots. Ladder bars are my preference on a hot street car. Fairly adjustable, simple, solid. They can be used with coils or leafs if you use housing floaters on the spring perches. The cost is low and the fabrication is simple.

That's a smart setup for low-buck flexy wheeling, as long as it doesn't go crazy when the go pedal is pushed while it's articulated.

RE: got sumn super cool for yall yuppies

First, sorry for the change in subject!

But, vehicles with that setup are still very drivable on the road. I never thought they would be, until I helped a friend out with a 1 link setup (and yes it is considered a "1 link" and is quite different than a 2 link). It handles very nicely on the road, and can still handle freeway speeds, fast turns, and all that other neccessary stuff.

Back