t5 transmission

savin

:?: Has anyone ever herd of putting a t5 transmission into a cherokee and what problems they encountered? I need to replace my automatic with a manual and have herd that the factory ones that came in the cherokees were problematic, but the ones that came in the cj's and wranglers were great, so I thought I would put a T5 from a cj in it. I think I :) can get one that will bolt right up to the 258 and can still use my trasfer case. I have an 88 Cherokee.

no i haven't, but i'd guess that you'd need an adapter from a place like "advanced adapters" and a different length driveshaft...

Just wondering out loud but why would yo want an AX5 to start with. Now dont get me wrong I had one and loved it. Held up to all I gave it but..... I have herd so many horror storys about the AX5 is not that great. tug

The '88 XJ and YJ both came with the Peugeot BA10/5 5-speed behind the 6cyl, you don't want that transmission. Get an AX15 from an '89 or newer XJ or YJ (They are the same). The AX15 is stronger than the T5. You'll need the crossmember from the donor vehicle and the transfer case input shaft to match the AX15, it's different from the auto.

Since you're going through the trouble, get a '94 or newer AX15 so it has the external clutch slave, much better design than the internal slave of '93 and older. This way you don't have to drop the transmission to replace the clutch slave, and they last much longer.

Back