Taking the doors off my 05?

Hook

Whats the deal with this? I removed the capnuts at the bottom of the pin through the hinges but these things wont budge? I tried tapping them upwards with a hammer and tried getting the blade of a screwdriver between the pin head and the hinge and twisting............nothing is moving.

The manual is absolutely no help.

What does it take?

First, spray some Lubricant on the pins, top and bottom. with one hand on the bottom and the other hand on top of the door, swing the door back and forth while applying LIFT on the door. I always lower the windows all the way down to do this so i can get a better hold of the door to keep it from flying off my hand.

A tip to help for next time.When you go to put the doors back on put a little lithium grease on the pin before inserting it.Also just helps stopping any squeaks when opening the doors.

As far as getting them off ask another person to help.Have them lift ever so lightly up on the door while you try and remove the pins.Just enough to try and take any weight off the pins.

When I first got my Jeep in '03 (first one for me) I immediately went out, pulled the windows off (half-doors), and started jerking like crazy.....and wondered why the heck the doors wouldn't come off!?!?! Idiot me didn't realize there were NUTS on the bottom!:crazy: So I removed them, shearing the first one off (I'm a lefty and have trouble with upside-down bolts and nuts) and then learned the "Door Removal Dance" which Steelheadz spoke of. Lift..wiggle..lift..wiggle..lift..wiggle...lift....wiggle.......etc.:piratenanner:

And xt master's lithium grease is a very good tip - makes the dance more like a waltz!

Last edited:

Thanks for all the replies. I'll give it another try today.

Back