This (and Every) Weekend

cewtwo

OK... To save money on gas, we have decided to go out only 1 time per weekend. I filled the Jeep Saturday for $53.86.

We had quite the day, though. We rode south of Denver to a great area. It included Redcone, Radical Hill and CR275 over the top to Montezuma, CO. It took a long time and the lighting package is a great help now.

Redcone is a great trail to take. It has a little of everything. Rocky trail areas (they do call them the Rocky Mountains, you know), narrow, wet areas with trees close to the side, switchbacks, and trail that drops suddenly down to the amazed beating of your heart.

It seems that when we ride Redcone, we always get to help someone out. There are enough minor obstacles that can make you think as you drive and you can avert getting yourself stuck if you pay attention.

Saturday, we were negotiating the tight, narrow forested area above the rocky trails. It had rained the day before so there was a lot of water on the trail. We're locked so most of the turns in this part of the trail require 3 point turns. There is on nasty burl on a pine tree right at light height just as you come out of a tight turn. We missed it (barely) then proceded around the corner. We looked ahead and saw a Land Rover sideways in a tight, narrow switchback. This switchback is lined on each side by old fallen trees to prevent further trail damage. The Land Rover was wedged tightly between the trees at each side. How he got there, I have no idea. He was definitely blocking the trail, so we got out to see if we could offer aid.

He needed it. We got the "Tread Lightly" kit out and set up our Jeep so we could use the tree st4rap / snatch block to pull him forward and get him back on the trail. They, on the other hand, were still sure that they could get out on their own by moving rocks under the tires.

I have two cardinal rules when we assist on the trail. The first is that You have to hook my winch cable to your vehicle. The second rule is to "Pass it forward." It you find someone that needs your help, and you can help them, then you're committed.

We hooked everything up and got him out quick. It took two seperate pulls due to the wet nature of the trail. They were pretty amazed that we were able to do it so quickly. He had damage. The passenger side front lights were wasted and the was fender and hood damage. Poor guy. Was he going to get it when he got home to the wife. That scared him more than anything else.

We tried to boost his attitude then sent him on his way.

We were still blocking the trail partially, when two vehicles came up to where we were. I went to the lead trauck's dirver window and told him that we just winched someone out and that we were putting things away. I didn't notice but he was with El Paso County Search & Rescue. They got out and asked all kinds of questions - How do you know how to do it? What did you do? What's your equipment? etc, etc, etc.

I thought it was funny that Search and Rescue shows up just after a pull...

I was just wondering how , when, where people would give someone help on the trail. Has it happened to anyone else?

BTW - We were still on the trail when it got dark. We have a 100 watt light package, so it didn't really matter. We went over Webster Pass and started down Upper Handcart trail. It's a shelf road with a steep slope that cambers and is very narrow at places. Driving the trail was fine, but it was unnerving not seeing anything but black to the downward side.

It was a great weekend!

Back