This is the end.....

RayOvac

This is the end...my jeeps AX-5 kicked the bucket today. I took a short trip to go visit a friend (about 20miles) and when I got in to leave I could not put the transmission into any gear except 5th. After a bit of manhandling i managed to get 3rd and 4th to work thus getting me a low enuf gear to get started off. I don't know what to do now...I have checked around and cannot find a rebuilt AX-5 for less than $1400 which as a poor college kid with no job now I cannot even come close to afford. I guess I'll just park it until I can get the money.

1995YJ White Rio Grande 2.5L/AX-5 4" lift 31" tires R.I.P. December 18, 2002[addsig]

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. As a non-college, with a job, but far from rich finnancially <sp> That's still a steep price tag! Heck, I'm having enough trouble saving up for a lift kit. I hope that somehow you can get the money to replace it![addsig]

Not a cool situation... Check ebay for a used ax-5... or upgrade. neither will be cheap. but its the only way to get it to drive again.[addsig]

Does your clutch feel like it is pushing back on the pedal??? I had an instance where my clutch master cylinder ran low of fluid... It did the exact thing you are describing... Might wanna check it out...[addsig]

before you go off doing all that... Is it only not going into gears??? check your clutch... if it is not letting go all the way... then it will not allow you in gears most of the time. but if you area getting noises from the transmission.... its probably a farewell[addsig]

with a few clicks of the mouse...walllah...a transmission for $675

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1874902841

Now, if your impressed at saving so much money maybe you'd consider $795 for the AX-15 Transmission...im almost 100% positive it will bolt right up to everything, the t-case im sure of but not positive about the engine so maybe one of the other jeepers out there can help you with that, but the AX-5 is CRAP, the worst transmission ever with exception of the Peugot transmission jeep used for a few years...if the conversion will work, and you'd like not to wind up replacing your transmission again i'd suggest the AX-15 ... and make sure you use a GL4 gear oil like redline, do not use the GL5 oil like the manual recomends because the sulfer in it is corosive to the brass synchronizers used in the transmission...here's a link for the AX-15

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1874525961

Good luck, hope you get your jeep back on the road soon [addsig]

Sure am sorry to hear this dude. I will shop around in the local junk yards and repair shop to see if can find you a deal. Like they already said check out your clutch prior to jumping to the transmission. Al the luck and hang in there Tug[addsig]

I am not going to give up...after 4 hours of continous grueling work the AX5/NP231 is now out and sitting beside my jeep. When I drained the fluid guess what....WHITE!!! I just had it changed about a month ago and havnet gone through any water at all. I guess grease monkey didn't change it like they said....anyway I do know the transmission is toast...its been going for a while and I guess today was the last straw for it. I am just gonna save my pennies until I can get another one....but an SM420 or SM465 sure would be a nice replacement...and one of the junkyards here has an SM465 for $200. Right now I am totally broke...but as soon as I can find some work I'm gonna figure out something...I found a master rebuild kit for $150 online so I may just save and rebuild it. An AX15 would be nice and I know where I can get one cheap but it wont bolt up to the AX5 bell and the AX15 bell has a different pattern from the 4 banger.[addsig]

sale you the 1 that i just took out $$$ 200
image-missing.png
[addsig]

i have never used 5th since i have 35's on it........i had it rebuilt last march

why would i want to sell you a broke transmission?

i just have all these extra parts....i have an extra transfercase too....

sold the 2.5 fuel injected to a friend for 300$$.....need to get rid of the rest.....its better than letting them sit there in my garage
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back